Friday, November 11, 2011

Review: Brisingr (Inheritance # 3)

Author: Christopher Paolini
Publisher: Knopf Books
Release Date: September 20, 2008 
Pages: 763
Buy It: Amazon / B&N

Oaths Sworn... Loyalties tested... forces collide.
Following the colossal battle against the Empire's warriors on the Burning Plains, Eragon and his dragon, Saphira, have narrowly escaped with their lives. Still there is more at hand for the Rider and his dragon, as Eragon finds himself bound by a tangle of promises he may not be able to keep.

First is Eragon's oath to his cousin Roran: to help rescue Roran's beloved, Katrina, from King Galbatorix's clutches. But Eragon owes his loyalty to others, too. The Varden are in desperate need of his talents and strength - as are the elves and dwarves. When unrest claims the rebels and danger strikes from every corner, Eragon must make choices - choices that take him across the Empire and beyond, choices that may lead to unimagined sacrifice.

Eragon is the greatest hope to rid the land of tyranny. Can this once-simple farm boy unite the rebel forces and defeat the king?

Review:

Okay, to start this review out, just let me tell you that I feel accomplished. I don't honestly know what it was about this series, I have a few theories, but none the less, this series just took FOREVER for me to finish. It took me practically the entire month of September to get through the first 3 books and I still have another one to read that is coming out in November before I even find out how everything comes to an end.

Now don't get me wrong, because I honestly do like these books and I love most of all the characters. But what I think is the major problem in all of these books for me, is the fact that there is SOOOOO much detail and not enough action to go along with the lengthy writing. This book was approximately 740 pages (not bad, I have read that amount of pages in other books before and loved them), what the problem is, is that in those 740 pages, nothing new really happened. Granted some new things are revealed (things that I saw coming from book one, like the fact that Brom was Eragon's real father). But that's it. The Varden haven't really made any major moves to overtake Galbatorix, there was another fight between brother's (Eragon and Murtagh), which yet again ended in a draw. The love between Eragon and Arya has not developed at all. Nothing. The only thing that truly happened in this book was 2 things. The elves and the dwarf's have fully backed the Varden (Orik now being the Kind of all dwarf's) and Oromis and Glaedr perished at the hands of Galbatorix (through Murtagh and Thorn's bodies after they were about to be defeated by O & G). That is the only part of this book that truly inspired any emotion in my, because O & G were my favorite characters in this series.

All in all, I give this series 4 stars simply because, while it was an effort to get through all of these books (even though I had 12 others books calling my name to be read), they are such epic tales of heroism. And I must give Mr. Paolini is credit for creating these books. His imagination is very vivid and it is something that I live up to myself. I simply hope that 'Inheritance' coming out in November can truly save this series and tie up the NUMEROUS loose end's that 'Brisingr' left for me.

No comments: