Friday, November 11, 2011

Review: The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games # 1)

Author: Suzanne Collins
Publisher: Scholastic, Inc. 
Release Date: December 14, 2009 
Pages: 374
Buy It: Amazon / B&N

WINNING MEANS FAME AND FORTUNE.
LOSING MEANS CERTAIN DEATH.
THE HUNGER GAMES HAVE BEGUN....

In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. The Capitol is harsh and cruel and keeps the districts in line by forcing them all to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the annual Hunger Games, a fight to the death on live TV.
Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen regards it as a death sentence when she steps forward to take her sister's place in the Games. But Katniss has been close to dead before - and survival, for her, is second nature. Without really meaning to, she becomes a contender. But if she is to win, she will have to start making choices that weigh survival against humanity and life against love.

Review:

Going into this book, I must admit that I was nervous. I tend to avoid books that have received outstanding reviews and tons of people love and are into. I can't explain it but I tend to enjoy reading books more on the side that not everyone has seemed to have read. But when a good friend at work mentioned that she was reading the book and was in love with it and I later saw that it was coming out as a movie, I finally decided to pick up a copy and go for it.

It sat on my book shelf for a few weeks while I caught up with the other books I had (and the series I had already started), it was in line for me to read after finishing 'Silence' by Becca FitzPatrick. And after reading that book and being blown away, I will admit I was actually thinking of skipping over this book and going on to some of the others that I had waiting for me. But let me tell you I'm GLAD I didn't. I must say that I thoroughly enjoyed this book. And I loved almost all of the characters. I have to say that I felt like slapping Katniss quit a few times however, I mean, how blind can she be that Peeta is genuinely IN LOVE with her. Like a flipping blind man could see that.

But, onto the heart of this review. The fact that I was a hundred and something pages into the book before "The Games" even started, I wasn't expecting. But it definitely gave us a chance to really get to know the character's and the contestants in the game's. I wasn't expecting the Capitol to be quit so 'fruitful', COLORFUL for a capitol I must say. But it was a crazy twist that brought some lightness to this world where everything is so dark and grim. I wasn't expecting to start tearing up only 2 chapters in.

There is sooooo much I could say for this book, but I'm not going to. I'm going to do the same thing as another friend of mine did; GO READ THE BOOK ALREADY!

I will leave you with this though, while I loved this book a lot, I was so frustrated with Katniss at times. While she may have won the games in the end and saved Peeta as well, she is still SOOOOO blind. I could see from the very beginning that both Peeta AND Gale are in love with her. I mean how obvious does one have to make it, before she will flipping caught on. And at the end of the book, I honestly didn't know where Ms. Collins was going to go with 'Catching Fire'. I felt so badly for Peeta, because he thought Katniss's actions during the end of the game and afterwards where genuine and that she had come to love him as much as he already loved her, I can't even imagine how that must have broken his heart when he found out she was playing up most of it for the benefit of getting home. I love Peeta so much, and while I don't know much of Gale yet, he will never stand up in my eyes as much as Peeta already has. After all, while Katniss might have saved Peeta at the end, it was Peeta who saved Katniss to begin with.

P.S. I cried like a flipping baby when Rue died. By far the saddest part in any book that I have read in a LONG time. My Chihuahua had to come over to comfort me.

No comments: