Friday, November 11, 2011

Review: Paranormalcy (Paranormalcy # 1)

Author: Kiersten White
Publisher: Harper Teen
Release Date: August 31, 2010 
Pages: 335
Buy It: Amazon / B&N

Evie's always thought of herself as a normal teenager, even though she works for the International Paranormal Containment Agency, she's falling for a shape-shifter, and she's the only one who can see through glamours. 

But now Evie's dreams are filled with haunting voices and cryptic messages - and she's realizing that she may be at the center of a dark faerie prophecy promising destruction to all paranormal creatures.

So much for normal.

Review:

I really liked this book. It was original. Which is not something that you find a lot in Fantasy YA books. Evie is a unique character and a different sort of heroine then we have seen before and the same goes for Lend. It took me awhile to find out what exactly Lend was and even then it didn't turn out to be exactly like I thought it was going to be. It was definitely different. Her confidence in herself is admiring and the way that she was able to cope when she found out that she wasn't completely normal and that she took her destiny within her hands without batting and eye and took down Vivian when she had to be dealt with.

And the relationship that developed between Evie and Lend was completely teenage and original and completely heartfelt. You could tell that they had genuinely come to love one another. It made me smile.

The saddest part of the book was when Alisha got killed by Vivian. Even though I saw it coming, I still cried quite a lot. Alisha was probably my favorite character in the book. & at the end when she said goodbye to Evie it made me cry even more. The fact that Evie had to say goodbye to her best friend not once but twice and had to let her go to a place that she could not follow and wouldn't see her ever again (or at least not for awhile), it truly broke my heart. I couldn't imagine having to go through something like that, and that was the moment that I truly came to respect Evie for the amazing girl she was.

I found the relationship between David and Cresseda really sad but beautiful as well. You could tell that even though they could never physically be together again, that they still truly loved one another and always would. I cant even imagine how hard it was for Lend when he was growing up. Only being able to see his mother every now and then and never even being able to feel her touch or even touch her himself.

While I did not originally really like Lend as a character I came to love him in the end. Because when it all boiled down to it. He loved Evie and brought her into his world without a second thought and so did David and all of their friends. Evie was able to see a different way of life and see that everything is not always either black or white. There are grey areas all around us. And we have to decide which is the right path for us to follow.

No comments: