Thursday, December 22, 2011

Author Interview: Laurie Faria Stolarz

Today I bring you a very special treat. Interview with Author Laurie Faria Stolarz, she is the other of such titles: the 'Touch' Series (Deadly Little Secret, Deadly Little Lies, Deadly Little Games & Deadly Little Voices) as well as 'Blue is for Nightmares' (and the other books in that series). I have been talking with her for the past few days and she has kindly agreed to give my humble blog an interview. I am very excited to introduce you all to this lovely lady. =D


Author Bio:
Laurie Faria Stolarz grew up in Salem, MA, attended Merrimack College, and received a MFA in Creative Writing from Emerson College in Boston.

Some Interesting Facts
Favorite Snack: Popcorn with soy butter and lemon/pepper seasoning.
Place to Visit: Paris
Late Night TV: Desperate Housewives of (anywhere)
Nightlife: Pilates in front of the TV
Ultimate Splurge: G20 Day Spa for a massage
Favorite Quote: Perseverance is Key. 
Favorite Music: Adele, Fergie, James Blunt, Gavin Rossdale, Tori Amos, Sting, Sarah MacLachlin, Gwen Stefani, Black-eyed Peas
Hobbies: Walking, Napping, Cooking


Q&A:

Q1: What was your inspiration for writing the 'Touch' series? 

I wanted to write a story where the main character has to struggle with the idea of falling in love with someone who could potentially be dangerous. I tinkered with this concept in the first three books of my 'Blue is for Nightmares' series [(Blue is for Nightmares (Llewellyn 2003), White is for Magic (Llewellyn 2004), and Silver is for Secrets (Llewellyn 2005), as well as in 'Bleed' (Hyperion 2006)]. In 'Bleed', in particular, there's a young male character who was convicted for the murder of his girlfriend. His next relationship consists of pen pal letters he exchanges with a young girl while he's in prison. Without giving too much away, the relationship is briefly pursued once he is released, but I wanted to bring this concept to another level. 

Additionally, I wanted to continue experimenting with the supernatural (which I also use in my 'Blue is for Nightmares' series as well as in Project 17), showing how we all have our own inner senses and intuition, and how with work we can tap into those senses and make them stronger. I started researching different types of supernatural powers and discovered the power of psychometry (the ability to sense things through touch). The concept fascinated me, and so I wanted to bring it out in a character, showing how sometimes even the most extraordinary powers can also be a curse.  

Lastly, I wanted to apply these concepts to be part of a series. I love the idea of growing main characters over the course of several books.

Q2: What were your favorite parts to write about? 

I love writing scenes in which the main character has an inner struggle - they know what they want but they're not sure if they should act on it. There's so much drama with inner conflict.

Q3: Who was your favorite character to write? 

I love to write all my characters for different reasons. I love the mysteriousness of Ben, the cautiousness of Camelia, and the humor of Kimmie and Wes.  

Q4: The protagonist in your latest book, 'Deadly Little Voices', has the power of psychometry. What drew you to write about this particular power, and what kind of research did you do to depict it?

Following the success of my 'Blue is for Nightmares' series, in which my main character is plagued and then empowered by her premonitions, I wanted to continue working in this supernatural/paranormal genre. I tinkered a little bit with the genre in 'Project 17' (Hyperion/2007), where my main character breaks into an abandoned mental institution that's rumored to be haunted, but I wanted to pursue it further, in another series, experimenting with the idea that we all have our own inner senses and intuition, and how with work we can tap into those senses and make them stronger. I started researching different types of supernatural powers and discovered the power of psychometry (the ability to sense things through touch). The concept fascinated me, and so I wanted to bring it out in a character, showing how sometimes even the most extraordinary powers can also be a curse. What I found particularly interesting in my research - which consisted of books, online articles, interviews and a workshop I attended - was that people who claim to have the power experience the effects of it very differently. For example, some are able to touch an object and picture where it's been, who owns it, something pertaining to its past or future. Meanwhile, others claim to smell specific scents, taste particular flavors, or hear certain sounds or voices pertaining to the object upon touching it. 

Q5: Is there any 'life' lessons, you would like your readers to get out of this series? 

Yes, that sometimes even though things may seem beyond our control, we still have a choice, even if the choice is merely a matter of perspective. 


That was a great interview. Thank you to Ms. Stolarz for stopping by my blog and giving us some of her time. I look forward to reading her latest book out in her 'Touch' series, 'Deadly Little Voices'. & if you haven't read the 'Touch' series yet, I highly recommend it. 

Below are ways of getting a hold of Ms. Stolarz.

Email: lauriestolarz@yahoo.com

2 comments:

roro said...

lovly intrview

Cassie S. said...

@roro: Yes. Ms. Stolarz was a really nice lady to speak to and so forth coming and helpful. I love her books, too.