Monday, December 26, 2011

Dusty Reads (3)

 
Dusty Reads is a weekly meme, hosted by .Xpresso Reads, featuring a book that has been sitting unread on my home shelf for some time.
My pick this week is:
Author: Suzanne Collins
Publisher: Scholastic, Inc.
Release Date: September 1, 2009
Page Count: 391 
SPARKS ARE IGNITING.
FLAMES ARE SPREADING.
AND THE CAPITOL WANTS REVENGE.
Against all odds, Katniss has won the Hunger Games. She and fellow District 12 tribute Peeta Mellark are miraculously still alive. Katniss should be relieved, happy even. After all. she has returned to her family and her longtime friend, Gale. Yet nothing is the way Katniss wishes it to be. Gale holds her at an icy distance. Peeta has turned his back on her completely. And there are whispers of a rebellion against the Capitol - a rebellion that Katniss and Peeta may have helped create.
Much to her shock, Katniss has fueled an unrest she's afraid she cannot stop. And what scares her even more is that she's not entirely convinced she should try. As time draws near for Katniss and Peeta to visit the districts on the Capitol's cruel Victory Tour, the stakes are higher than ever. If they can't prove, without a shadow of a doubt, that they are lost in their love for each other, the consequences will be horrifying. 

Why haven't I read this book? I mean, after all I LOVED 'The Hunger Games' so much. I keep racking my brain for the answer to this question and only one answer keeps popping up. The second book in a series (sucks), there is a dreaded 'second book curse'. After you love a book so much, you want the second book to live up to that standard that you have set for it. So I am afraid to read it and become frustrated with the series, because no matter how much I liked 'The Hunger Games', the ending of it still left me raw. I hate when characters that I love start to feud with one another and in the next book much find their way back to each other. Katniss and Peeta are so cute together, yet Katniss is so blind in her affects (she wouldn't be able to tell if it hit her in the face). I will get it it eventually, because after all I am really looking forward to the movies. But I can't say that I am impatient to read this one, because honestly I'm not, even though I do love the series. 

What dusty book's do you have to read?


No comments: