Monday, December 05, 2011

Review: The Iron King (Iron Fey # 1)

Author: Julie Kagawa
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Release Date: February 1, 2010
Page Count: 363
Chapter Count: 25
Named Chapters: Yes
Buy It: Amazon / B&N

MEGHAN CHASE
HAS A SECRET DESTINY-
ONE SHE COULD NEVER
HAVE IMAGINED...

Something has always felt slightly off in Meghan's life, ever since her father disappeared before her eyes when she was six. She has never quite fit in at school... or at home.

When a dark stranger begins watching her from afar, and her prankster best friend becomes strangely protective of her. Meghan senses that everything she's known is about to change.

But she could never have guessed the truth - that she is the daughter of a mythical faery king and is a pawn in a deadly war. Now Meghan will learn just how far she'll go to save someone she cares about, to-stop a mysterious evil no faery creature dare face... and to find love with a young prince who might rather see her dead than let her touch his icy heart.

Review:

This book came highly recommended to me from a friend. & I must say that I was having some serious cover love with this book. & overall I can't complain. I enjoyed this book, a good thing considering I don't commonly like most YA Faery books. For me, they are the cheesiest of the cheesy when it comes to paranormal YA romances. But... I liked it. That's saying a lot.

I liked it for a few reasons. Meghan was a good character, Ms. Kagawa obviously put some time into the developed of this character. Which I must give her a round of applause for, because Faery heroine's are usually just so... well... fairy. The one thing that I didn't really like about her, was simply how she couldn't tell that Puck had a serious crush on her. It was just so so so so obvious [well to me at least]. But I guess I can give her some credit. It can be easy to over look it sometimes when a person likes you [even though it's so obvious to notice it for other people]. & their friendship was so cute. They had an easy relationship around one another that it had me smiling. Of course, I didn't like how he so easily left her [especially after Ash makes his first appearance], even though he is supposed to be her appointed guardian.

The main thing I enjoyed about this book, though, was how they entered a separate world to get to the Faery realm. Their sort of existed like a mirror image of our own [completely different granted] and incorporated tons of different fantasy creatures within it's realms. & it brought in elements from both 'Alice in Wonderland' as well as 'A Midsummer Nights Dream'. It was a unique twist that I wasn't expecting.

I also enjoyed the introduction of all the character's. They all fit within the book and none of them seemed unnecessary to the development of the story. I liked how Ash and Puck had a past history together, it gave the two main 'male characters' more depth and made them seem more real to me. Even though I must say that I am completely Team Ash right now [at least for book one], it may change as the series goes on because Puck is just as charming.

There was only one element in this story that I just didn't enjoy. & that was the concept of the Iron Fey. Now don't get me wrong, I can totally understand where Ms. Kagawa is coming with this concept. On the fact, that it is the imagination and dreams of the humans that create and keep the Feary world going. & how with the development, increase and dependency on technology in now a day culture and society, it would make our imagination and dreams more technology based. However, to create a creature, who's very essence is the thing that is originally the kryptonite to original Fey creature's, just didn't sit well with me. It was a unique idea, but I just didn't enjoy it. I just really wish Ms. Kagawa would of come up with a different reason as to why the Faery world was dying out, but that was only a minor flaw for me. & I am sure there were plenty of people who loved the introduction of the Iron Fey. 

Overall, I enjoyed this book and I look forward to getting, 'The Iron Daughter', [book two in this series] in the mail and starting it to see what happens with Meghan, Puck and Ash. 


No comments: