Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Review: Nevermore (Nevermore # 1)

Author: Kelly Creagh
Publisher: Atheneum 
Release Date: August 31, 2010
Page Count: 543
Chapter Count: 50
Named Chapters: Yes
Buy It: Amazon / B&N

Cheerleader Isobel Lanley is horrified when she is paired with Varen Nethers for an English project. Cold and aloof, sardonic and sharp-tongued, Varen makes it clear he'd rather not have anything to do with her, either. But soon Isobel finds herself making excuses to be with Varen. Steadily pulled away rom her friends and her possessive boyfriend, Isobel ventures deeper and deeper into the dream world Varen has created through the pages of his notebook, a realm where the terriying stories of Edgar Allan Poe come to life.

As her world begins to unravel around her, Isobel discovers that dreams, like words, hold more power than she ever imagined and that the most frightening realities are those of the mind. Can she save Varen from the madness taking hold of him? Or will they both be consumed by the shadows of his nightmares?

 Review:

'Nevermore', where do I even begin? This was such a HARD book for me to review. I had such a love/hate relationship with this book that it made me want to simultaneously laugh and scream. Maybe it was the fact, that going into this book I wasn't really a big fan of Poe, I was really hesitant to read this book, simply because there was so much Poe in it. I hated the week that we went over Poe in my 'English Lit.' class in college. Yet, thanks to Ms. Creagh I must profess that I am a fan of Poe. So she definitely did one thing that my 'English Lit.' teacher never could. Maybe it was because I heard so many 'raving' reviews on this books (with only an occasional negative one), that I was hesitant to automatically like it because so many other's did. Throughout the majority of this book, it was a SOLID three star (birdy) book for me, however, at the end it got 4 stars. Why?

Well here are the reasons:

I LOVED all the characters. Especially Varen, it's because of Varen that I had a love/hate relationship with this book. I LOVED every part that had him in it, I HATED every part that he wasn't in. Varen has got to be the most developed character I have come across in quite awhile. There are so many levels (so much depth) to him, that Isobel has only barely been able to scrap at in this 500+ page book. And amazingly enough, Ms. Creagh made me love a cheerleader as well. They usually annoy the living hell out of me, yet I genuinely liked Isobel. Especially when, even though it must of been dead scary, she stood up against all her friends and defended Varen. At that point, I knew Isobel was more then just a pretty face. She turned her back on her friends when she knew they were doing wrong (when she could no longer support their actions) and stood by the side of a person, who she had no clue was even her friend (not yet at least). That takes a LOT of guts and strength. And I must say that the girl-friend that she gains from these actions is such a better friend to her any ways.

I enjoyed the process of Varen & Isobel falling in love. It was REAL. You could literally feel their feelings. Could see, two people (from two completely different upbringings and backgrounds) falling head over heels in love with one another. It was so absolutely sweet to watch. And it was these scenes that made a lot of the book for me, because most of the rest of the story I found myself not really even caring about. 

Yet, it is these 2 reasons, that I can't help but liked this book. I am not saying I love it, because I don't. But I REALLY like it. One of the reasons why I couldn't cross that bring from like to love is because most of this story I didn't care about. I didn't care about Isobel's old friend drama, I didn't care about (or particularly even like) the dream world that Varen created. I didn't find it real or even enjoyable. In fact, one of the things I hated MOST about this book was the dream world. I didn't care. At the end when Ms. Creagh spends close to 100 pages describing the dream world and everything that is going on in it, I skimmed. I skimmed it like crazy. All I wanted was more of Varen & Isobel falling in love. I didn't want the dream world in the way and that's all it was for me. Something that just felt forced and in the way, to give the story drama, so that there could be a sequel and make it harder for Varen & Isobel to love one another.

So all together with the postive and negative in this book, it was still a 4 star book for me. Why? Because I found myself crying at the end. Yes, that is right. Ms. Creagh you made me cry. & any book that can bring out such a strong emotion in me is a good book indeed. Ms. Creagh is an amazing story teller. & while there was a lot that bugged me about this book, I would still definitely recommend it to people. Go out check it out for yourself. 

2 comments:

Morganville94 said...

Great review! I have this book but I can't get through the first few pages, however I loved Poe's Annabel Lee's poems and had great prospects for this book, reading your review made me want to start reading the book soon!

Natasha @ Dreamland Teenage Fantasy

Cassie S. said...

@Morganville94: Thank you. Like I mentioned above, this really was a hard book to review and because of that fact I put it off for a few days. LOL. Not the greatest idea because it just makes doing the review that much harder. But this was definitely a good book, it does take a little while to get into, I read it pretty slowly (or what slowly is to me since I usually read pretty fast). But after a while I really found myself falling in love with the characters. That is definitely one of the greatest thing about this book. The 2 main characters are really awesome. I wouldn't mind having friends like that in real. =D