Monday, January 23, 2012

Review: Half-Blood (Covenant #1)

Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Publisher: Spencer Hill Press
Release Date: October 18, 2011
Page Count: 281
Chapter Count: 21
Named Chapters: No
Format: Paperback
Buy It: Amazon / B&N

Could you kill the one you love?

The Hematoi descend from the unions of gods and mortals, and the children of two Hematoi - Pure-Bloods - have godlike powers. Children of Hematoi and mortals - well, not so much. Half-Bloods only have two options: become trained Sentinels who hunt and kill Daimons or become Servants in the homes of the Pures.

Seventeen-year-old Alexandria would rather risk her life fighting than waste it scrubbing toilets, but she may end up slumming it anyway. There are several rules that students at the Covenant must follow. Alex has problems with them all, but especially rule #1.

Relationships between Pure's and Half's are FORBIDDEN!

Unfortunately, she's crushing hard on the totally hot Pure-Blood Aiden. But falling for Aiden isn't her biggest problem - staying alive long enough to graduate the Covenant and become a Sentinel is. If she fails in her duty, she faces a future worse than death or Slavery: being turned into a Daimon, and being hunted by Aiden.

And that would kind of suck. 

Opening Sentence: My eyes snapped open as the freakish sixth sense kicked my fight or flight response into overdrive. 

Review:

Oh, wow! I have heard so much about this book and on many of the blogs that I consistently follow, I have read nothing but glowing reviews for this one. On the flip side, I have also read reviews that say it is a complete rip off of the 'VA' series. I must say that I stand some where in the middle.

While I can see the similarities between 'Half-Blood' by Jennifer L. Armentrout and 'The Vampire Academy' by Richelle Mead, I must say that in my opinion it wasn't necessarily the story line that reminded me of the 'VA' series, it was the characters that resembled one another. However, on the flip side after reading several different series, there are a lot of books that I start to see similarities between. I do believe that this is an inevitability, sometimes. Having say that, I will go onto my review of 'Half-Blood'. 

I did enjoy this book. There were quite a few times, however, that I had to set the book down, roll my eyes, and then pick it up a few minutes later to continue it. My favorite thing about this whole book were the moments between Alex and Aiden. They were hot, hot, hot. Especially towards the ending of the book. 

This book was predictable though, and those are the moments that I had to set it down and take a breather before I was able to continue it. I am not saying this was a bad book, though, because it wasn't, it was good. But that's all, there wasn't anything about it that knocked my socks off. Anything that would of had the potential of throwing me for a loop, I saw coming a mile away. Like why it was her mother left (and took her with), that her mother becomes a Daimon, that Seth is very important to her (because she special herself), that there would be an interrupted love scene. GRRR! That by the way was my biggest frustration with this book. Gosh, how I HATE interruptions. There is always a knock on the door at the most inopportune timing. And then later on, of course, it is the same old, that shouldn't of happened and will never happened again.... even though you know in the next coming books, its going to happen. (insert eye roll here). I guess I just hate the fact that so many things are stopped or pushed off until the last minute because you never get what you want... at least not right away. 

Any ways, enough with my ranting. This was a good solid book. And I loved the mythology behind it. The Pure, the Halfs and the Apollyon. It was all tight and concise and it all wrapped up beautifully into a world that I could completely see as being real. Even the Daimons reminded me more of (well... demons) and not vampires even if they were sucking out the essence of a person (from what flows in their veins). 

Did this book blow me away? No. Did this book thoroughly entertain me? Yes.


No comments: