Monday, January 23, 2012

Review: Wings (Wings #1)

Author: Aprilynne Pike
Publisher: Harper Teen
Release Date: April 29, 2009
Page Count: 290
Chapter Count: 25
Named Chapters: No
Format: Paperback
Buy It: Amazon / B&N

Laurel was mesmerized, staring at the pale things. They were terrifyingly beautiful - too beautiful for words.
Laurel turned to the mirror again, her eyes on the hovering petals that floated beside her head. They looked almost like wings. 

Laurel's life is the very definition of normal... until the morning when she wakes up to discover a flower blooming from her back. As it turns out, nothing in Laurel's life is what it seems. Now, with the help of an alluring faerie sentry who holds the key to her true past, Laurel must race to save her human family from the centuries-old faerie enemies who walk among them. 

Opening Sentence: Laurel's shoes flipped a cheerful rhythm that defied her dark mood. 

Review:

I had heard a lot of negative (and read) reviews for 'Wings' by Aprilynne Pike, however, I must of read a completely different book. Because while I will be the first to admit that it was pretty hard for me to wrap my mind around the fact that Faeries are plants, I actually rather enjoyed this book a lot. 

It is always interesting when an author can recreate age old mythology (in this case, faeries) and actually turn it into something that is plausible. At first I did not necessarily like how Ms. Pike was taking the mythology of Faeries (plants... really). But, I am not ashamed to admit that it grew on me. Maybe because I loved the characters so much. 

Laurel was a completely heart warming and enduring character and her relationship with David was so totally believable. Their love story was genuine. I could see (step by step) how it was that they were falling in love and the fact that David supported her so completley through everything that she was going through (pshhh... I wish I could find a guy like that). If you couldn't tell already, I am totally Team David. Team David? If there are teams then there must be another guy vying for Laurel's love. Tamani

Oh, Tamani, how I do not like you. Yes, you heard me right. I don't like him. Maybe it's because I love to support the underdog (and trust me David is the underdog in this love story no matter how much Laurel may love him). Tamani is Laurel's love from the Faerie realm before she came to live with her human parents. And he is the only one who can give her the answers that she seeks about herself as a Faerie and the blossom that blooms out of her back. 

The first 200 pages or so, are a little slow but still interesting enough to hold one's attention, it wasn't until around the ending that some action finally happens and the Trolls come into the picture. Faeries and Trolls fighting one another, how can that not be interesting? I loved it. This story (while I do admit was hard at first to wrap my mind around) completely entertained me and left me breathless and longing to read 'Spells' (the next book in the series). I can't wait to get my hands on the other books so I can continue to read about Laurel and see how she comes into herself (and her Faerie-self). TEAM DAVID! =D

No comments: