Monday, March 05, 2012

Review: Catching Fire (The Hunger Games #2)

Author: Suzanne Collins
Publisher: Scholastic Inc.
Release Date: September 01, 2009
Page Count: 391
Chapter Count: 27
Named Chapters: No
Format: Hardback 
Buy It: Amazon / B&N


SPARKS ARE IGNITING.
FLAMES ARE SPREADING.
AND THE CAPITOL WANTS REVENGE.

Against all odds. Katniss has won the Hunger Games. She and fellow District 12 tribute Peeta Mellark are miraculously still alive. Katniss should be relieved, happy even. After all, she has returned to her family and her longtime friend, Gale. Yet nothing is the way Katniss wishes it to be. Gale holds her at an icy distance. Peeta has turned his back on her completely. And there are whispers of a rebellion against the Capitol - a rebellion that Katniss and Peeta may have helped create. 

Much to her shock, Katniss has fueled an unrest she's afraid she cannot stop. And what scares her even more is that she's not entirely convinced she should try. As time draws near for Katniss and Peeta to visit the districts on the Capitol's cruel Victory Tour, the stakes are higher than ever. If they can't prove, without a shadow of a doubt that they are lost in their love for each other the consequences will be horrifying.

Opening Sentence: I clasp the flask between my hands even though the warmth from the tea has long since leached into the frozen air.

Review:

Wow. I must say that this series has gone in a COMPLETELY different direction then I was expecting it to go. Ms. Collins definitely has a way of knowing how to make her characters go through a medium of emotions and experiences and then totally twisting things on them at the very last minute. I must say that I came out of this book truly hating Haymitch, loving Peeta even more and coming to the conclusion that if Peeta and Katniss don't end up together the entire series will be ruined for me. Katniss and Peeta are one of the most perfect couples I have read about in a book for QUITE a while now. Her and Gale are just no where near as perfect together as her and Peeta. 

I could not believe what happened in the Quarter Quell. How do you do that to the two main characters, like that? How do you twist and destroy a characters life so effortlessly like that? 

But I must say, while I absolutely ADORED 'The Hunger Games' I just couldn't find myself falling in love just as fast with 'Catching Fire.' Don't get me wrong, I still love this series, but the ending of the book just left me cold, and getting into 'Mockingjay' has been really hard for me. I don't want to reveal to much because I want everybody that hasn't read this book or this series to get out there and read it. Because while it has left me cold that is only because it has run me through every emotion that I am speechless at this point. I can't wait until the 23rd when I can go and see Katniss and especially Peeta suffer through the Hunger Games and show the Capitol they won't just sit back and take their rule quietly any more. Gotta love it.

  

2 comments:

Bella Street said...

Cassie, that's exactly the same way I felt about catching Fire. SO AMAZING, but missing a certain something The Hunger Games had. I'll be curious to hear your thoughts on Mockingjay!

Cassie S. said...

@Bella: Yea, 'Catching Fire' was definitely my least favorite of the whole series. I just finished 'Mockingjay' last night. I have to collect my thoughts before I can write my review for that. By the last 10 chapters or so, I was constantly bawling my eyes out. I can't believe what Katniss and the rest of them have to go through before they can even find a measure of happiness, but the ending was really sweet and had me crying even more. So definitely keep checking back, I should have my review up soon. =D