Monday, March 12, 2012

Review: Divergent (Divergent #1)

Author: Veronica Roth
Publisher: Katherine Tegen Books
Release Date: May 03, 2011
Page Count: 487
Chapter Count: 39
Named Chapters: No
Format: Paperback
Buy It: Amazon / B&N

In Beatrice Prior's dystopian Chicago, society is divided into five factions, each dedicated to the cultivation of a particular virtue - Candor (the honest), Abnegation (the selfless), Dauntless (the brave), Amity (the peaceful), and Erudite (the intelligent). On an appointed day of every year, all sixteen-year-olds must select the faction to which they will devote the rest of their lives. For Beatrice, the decision is between staying with her family and being who she really is - she can't have both. So she makes a choice that surprises everyone, including herself.

During the highly competitive initiation that follows, Beatrice renames herself Tris and struggles to determine who her friends really are - and where, exactly, a romance with a sometimes fascinating, sometimes infuriating boy fits into the life she's chosen. But Tris also has a secret, one she's kept hidden from everyone because she's been warned it can mean death. And as she discovers a growing conflict that threatens to unravel her seemingly perfect society, she also learns that her secret might help her save those she loves... or it might destroy her. 

Opening Sentence: There is one mirror in my house. 

Review:

This book was a quit enjoyable read. It had a unique concept that kept me late into the night reading and stayed on my mind for a while even when I wasn't reading. 

I really like Tris as a main character. You could really see her grow throughout the book. Her friends however, really annoyed me. Christina and Will even Al weren't her best supporters for a lot of this book and when she started being better then them and not the weak little girl she started off as, they started to be jealous of her instead of proud of her growth. It was obvious from the get go that Four was completely into her, how her friends didn't see that I don't know, maybe it was because they were only interested in themselves for a big part of this book. 

The moments between Four and Tish were adorable and I loved them together as a couple. Will and Christina were nice as well. Uriah was by far the best friend to Tish in the whole book. 

What I really didn't like was that it was apparently obvious who the villains of the book were and who the good people of the book were. Some of the things I saw coming, but the spontaneous moments of adrenaline and fun were some of my favorite parts of the book. 

The controlled humans as soldiers I didn't see coming. The ending of the book was a complete shock. It went from an okay book, things are developing nicely, to WTH! is going on? Everyone become controlled soldiers. And it was nothing but chaos from then on out. The fact that practically everyone in Tish's family got killed to protect her was shocking. And that at the end Tish and her small group were running away from their homes and the factions and were going to end up being hunted down. The book ended on a very unsteady note, because I have NO clue what is going to happen in the next book.

Where I enjoyed the book overall and it stayed in my mind when I wasn't reading, I don't know if I would have necessarily voted for it as my favorite read of the year. But I would definitely recommend it to people as a good book and a potentially good series depending on what happens in the next instalment, 'Insurgent'. 

No comments: