Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Review: Hereafter (Hereafter #1)

Author: Tara Hudson
Publisher: Harper Teen
Release Date: June 07, 2011
Page Count: 404
Chapter Count: 29
Named Chapters: No
Format: Hardback 
Buy It: Amazon / B&N

Can there truly be
LOVE
after
DEATH?

Drifting in the dark waters of a mysterious river, the only thing Amelia knows for sure is that she's dead. With no recollection of her past life - or her actual death - she's trapped alone in a nightmarish existence. All of this changes when she tries to rescue a boy, Joshua, from drowning in her river. As a ghost, she can do nothing but will him to live. Yet in an unforgettable moment of connection, she helps him survive. 

Amelia and Joshua grow ever closer as they begin to uncover the strange circumstances of her death and the secrets of the dark river that held her captive for so long. But even while they struggle to keep their bond hidden from the living world, a frightening spirit named Eli is doing everything in his power to destroy their newfound happiness and drag Amelia back into the ghost world... forever. 

Opening Sentence: It was the same as always, but different from the first time. 

Review:

'Hereafter' by Tara Hudson started off really promising. It was catchy and quickly caught my attention. However, I must say that after the first hundred pages or so, it started to go down hill from there. 

It was interesting at first to read a paranormal book in the perspective of a ghost instead of just a person experiencing a ghostly experience. But it was hard for me to really grasp the concept. It (and the concepts behind it) started to become really wishy washy for me and it just wasn't holding my attention any longer.

The first thing that really turned me off of it was the instant love between Amelia and Joshua. Granted she did save his life and that can forge a really strong bond, but these two were madly in love with one another after about like 2 days of knowing each other. That just doesn't fly in my books. I'm sorry, but love (and truly love at that) is something that really needs to be built upon, not something that is rushed right into. I read that Ms. Hudson had originally started to write this story as a ghost story for her friends and that started to become extremely apparent by the lack of strong (build) characters and plot line (or lack of it). I don't really think anything really significant happened in this story and it really felt like she was making it up as she went along, as if she didn't even really know what was going on with her own characters. 

I had no particular love for any of the characters in this book and as a matter of fact actually disliked most of them. 

Don't get me wrong though, I am not saying that it was a horrible book. Because it wasn't, no book is horrible. It (for me) just started to get a little hockey. I couldn't truly believe a boy fell in love with a girl, was touching her, kissing her and dating her. I mean, in my mind you can't touch a girl (and my mind refused to think any different of that). And I think that was my problem with this book. My mind refused to budge on the idea that ghost's just aren't like that. Me, who totally loves my sparkling vampires. LOL. But it just didn't seem right.

This was a sweet and nice book. It just wasn't what I had been hoping for.

& enter to win
my 300 follower giveaway
~HERE

   
 

No comments: