Monday, March 12, 2012

Review: Mockingjay (The Hunger Games #3)

Author: Suzanne Collins
Publisher: Scholastic Inc.
Release Date: August 24, 2010
Page Count: 390
Chapter Count: 27
Named Chapters: No
Format: Hardback
Buy It: Amazon / B&N

MY NAME IS KATNISS EVERDEEN.
WHY AM I NOT DEAD?
I SHOULD BE DEAD.

Katniss Everdeen, girl on fire, has survived, even though her home has been destroyed. Gale has escaped. Katniss's family is safe. Peeta has been captured by the Capitol. District 13 really does exist. There are rebels. There are new leaders. A revolution is unfolding.

It is by design that Katniss was rescued from the arena in the cruel and haunting Quarter Quell, and it is by design that she has long been part of the revolution without knowing it. District 13 has come out of the shadows and is plotting to overthrow the Capitol. Everyone, it seems, has had a hand in the carefully laid plans - except Katniss.

The success of the rebellion hinges on Katniss's willingness to be a pawn, to accept responsibility for countless lives, and to change the course of the future of Panem. To do this, she must put aside her feelings of anger and distrust. She must become the rebels' Mockingjay - no matter what the personal cost. 

Opening Sentence: I stare down at my shoes, watching as a fine layer of ash settles on the worn leather. 

Review:

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How can I stress that word even more. This book (the conclusion to Suzanne Collins' Hunger Games series) absolutely blew my mind away. I was a crying mess by the ending of this book. It has quickly won a VERY special place in my heart, this whole series has. There are not very many series that have managed to really make me sit down and think about life and the meaning behind it and who I am as a person. But this book has. It has made me appreciate my life and be glad for the moments of happiness that I have been able to find in life. Because after all, that is not something that is guaranteed or even offered for some people, like Katniss and Peeta, who had to help bring down a corrupt government and lose almost everything before they were able to find their piece of happiness (happiness that will still always be tainted with horrifying memories).

This book, at first, I will admit was hard for me to get into. Probably because I am stingy. I love Peeta so much, he is my favorite character of this entire series, and for a good part of this book, he is absent from it, because of being captured by The Capitol. Also, 'Catching Fire' annoyed me slightly at the ending of it (Peeta being captured, grrrrr....), but after I really buckled down and read it, I could not put this book down. I stayed up late into the night, and felt it the next day at work, but by the last 5 or so chapters there was not a moment that I wasn't crying.

This book took me through a roller coaster ride of emotions: anger, joy, sadness, frustration (to just name a few). There were times that I wanted to rant and rave at Katniss and there were moments that I wanted to take her into my arms and to just shelter her from all the horror that she was experiencing. And the things that Peeta had to overcome are simply mind boggling. Congratulations Ms. Collins you have successfully altered how I see the world.

I won't go into detail on what goes on in this book, because I don't want to spoil anything for those who haven't managed to read this one yet. But for those of you who haven't I highly recommend that you read this, the whole series. The Hunger Games series is a gem in a bed of coals. Not that I wasn't already impatient for the movie to come out on the 23rd, now I practically hyperventilate every time I see a trailer for the movie. Oh, and I know this isn't of any relevance to the book(s) but I absolutely love Josh Hutcherson (a.k.a. Peeta Mellark) and can't wait to see him bring one of my favorite guy's to life. This will be the role of their careers so far. Love it.

1 comment:

Bella Street said...

I know what you mean about staying up late and hyperventilating! I CANNOT WAIT to see the movie.

However, Gale stole my heart, so we differ there ;)

Glad you enjoyed one of the most amazing series in a lot of years!!