Wednesday, April 04, 2012

Review: Angel Burn (Angel #1)

Author: L.A. Weatherly
Publisher: Candlewick Press
Release Date: September 30, 2010
Page Count: 449
Chapter Count: 19
Named Chapter: No
Format: Paperback
Buy It: Amazon / B&N

THEY ARE OUT FOR YOUR SOUL AND
THEY DON'T HAVE HEAVEN IN MIND....

Willow isn't like other girls: she has a gift. She can look into the future and know people's dreams and hopes, their sorrows and regrets. She has no idea where this power comes from. But the assassin, Alex, does. Gorgeous, mysterious Alex knows that Willow's powers link to dark and dangerous forces and that he's one of the few humans left who can fight them. When Alex falls in love with his sworn enemy, he discovers that nothing is as it seems, least of all good and evil.

Opening Sentence: "Is that your car?"  

Review:

'Angel Burn' by L.A. Weatherly started off really promising but ended on a rather sour note. I was really enjoying the unique tale that Weatherly was weaving with angel's not being the pure angelic creatures that they are usually portrayed as, but rather as selfish creatures who feed off the essence of humans and end up withering their dreams and hopes down to nothing. 

But after the first few chapters and Alex saves Willow from the crazy Church of Angel followers and practically forces her to stay with him and to go to New Mexico to figure out what she is and how she came to be. It just goes down hill from there. It just becomes way to obvious what is going to happen. 

There is a person that Alex trusts but shouldn't. Alex is going to fall in love even though she is something he hates. She will discover who her father is (it's obvious who he is). They will run into people who are sympathetic to their cause and they will try and help them. They will come up with a plan to stop the angels but it won't work, because if it did how would there be a sequel? 

But overall the thing that really got on my nerves while reading 'Angel Burn' was the surgery sweet, all to easy, practically instant love fest of a romance between Willow and Alex. They knew each other, what... a month? And they know without a doubt that they are soul mates and want to spend the rest of their lives together. There were lines such as...

"I love you, Willow."
"You do? But what about me being what you hate?"
"That doesn't matter to me any more, after all your nice and you predicted a ladies fate and helped her not kill herself and your just sooo darn pretty."
"Really truly, you can really love me even though I am what you hate?"

(Okay, maybe that was a little dramatized), but REALLY! Yes, he loves you regardless, isn't that what he just said. I just couldn't for the life of me take their "love" seriously. I am just not a fan of instant love between characters. There was no real solid ground that their love was built upon (at least not that I saw). 

Overall, this wasn't a horrible book but it wasn't really what I was hoping for either. I had read some really good reviews on this one and was expecting a book that would truly give me an enjoyable read. But I found myself just skimming through the pages towards the last few chapters of the book. I just wanted to get it over with so that I could move on to the next book. I have no clue where the next book in this series is going to take us, but I hope that it is a lot more adventurous and less predictable then 'Angel Burn' was.

& enter to win 
my 300 follower giveaway
~HERE

      
 

4 comments:

C.M.Brown said...

I think that I would like to read this book it would be something I would enjoy! I will put it on me TBR list. Thanks for sharing.

CarolynBrown-Books

Cassie S. said...

@C.M.: I hope that you enjoy it more then I was able to. It's not a bad book, I just didn't like the sugary sweet romance.

Wendy Darling said...

Aw, I'm sorry you didn't enjoy this. I actually liked this one, although I agree that the plot was predictable. I liked the second one less than this, though, so I'm not sure how you'll feel about that! Hope your next read is better. :)

Wendy @ The Midnight Garden

Cassie S. said...

@Wendy: That sucks. I will still read it eventually. But I will definitely be waiting until it comes out in paperback. So far I am really enjoying 'Across the Universe', Beth Revis has taken her plot and gone crazy with it. She has added so many elements to it that I never saw coming.