Sunday, April 22, 2012

Review: The Ghost and the Goth (The Ghost and the Goth #1)

Author: Stacey Kade
Publisher: Hyperion
Release Date: June 29, 2010
Page Count: 281
Chapter Count: 18
Named Chapters: Yes
Format: Paperback
Buy It: Amazon / B&N

Alona Dare - Senior in high school, co-captain of the cheerleading squad, Homecoming Queen three years in a row, voted most likely to marry a movie star… and newly dead.

I’m the girl you hated in high school. Is it my fault I was born with it all - good looks, silky blond hair, a hot bod, and a keen sense of what everyone else should not be wearing? But my life isn’t perfect, especially since I died. Run over by a bus of band geeks - is there anything more humiliating? As it turns out, yes - watching your boyfriend and friends move on with life, only days after your funeral. And you wouldn’t believe what they’re saying about me now that they think I can’t hear them. To top it off, I’m starting to disappear, flickering in and out of existence. I don’t know where I go when I’m gone, but it’s not good. Where is that freaking white light already?

Will Killian - Senior in high school, outcast, dubbed “Will Kill” by the popular crowd for the unearthly aura around him, voted most likely to rob a bank… and a ghost-talker.

I can see, hear, and touch the dead. Unfortunately, they can also see, hear and touch me. Yeah, because surviving high school isn’t hard enough already. I’ve done my best to hide my “gift.” After all, my dad, who shared my ability, killed himself because of it when I was fifteen. But lately, pretending to be normal has gotten a lot harder. A new ghost - an anonymous, seething cloud of negative energy with the capacity to throw me around - is pursuing me with a vengeance. My mom, who knows nothing about what I can do, is worrying about the increase in odd incidents, my shrink is tossing around terms like “temporary confinement for psychiatric evaluation,” and my principal, who thinks I’m a disruption and a faker, is searching for every way possible to get rid of me. How many weeks until graduation?

Opening Sentence: It was easy enough to sneak out of school. 

Review:

'The Ghost and the Goth' by Stacey Kade was a HUGE surprise for me. I must admit that I was not expecting much from this book and actually didn't think that I was going to enjoy it at all. Goes to show you how much I know. Because I absolutely adored this book, from beginning to end.

Besides trying to hide the cover from my cousin (who is deadly scared of ghosts) there wasn't a moment that I wanted to put this book down. Except when I was forced to work =(. Alona and Will both had such strong, clear voices and were both such leading characters. I can't think of a single time that I was annoyed with either one of them. They were both flawed in their own ways but together they were better then by themselves. That is when they were able to get along or even willing to listen to one another. They both came from such different backgrounds that at first it was definitely hard to see how they would ever be able to figure out how to work nicely together. But it was a great journey seeing them finally being able to look behind the image and into who the person really was. 

I typically don't like the stereotypical 'cheerleader' character, but Alona was far from that. She was actually a rather intelligent and quick-witted character to read about. I found her to be so much more then one would expect. She was what she was (while she was alive) because she was afraid to let anyone see how really flawed and not perfect her personal life really was. And that is just a human trait that I couldn't not love her. 

And Will was just the opposite of Alona. Not that he wasn't flawed, because by all means he was as well. But it was for completely different reasons. He didn't know how to comes to terms with his dad's death and what he did, leaving his mother and him alone. And he couldn't figure out how to accept his gift without hurting people (or so he thought). But with Alona's help he was able to figure out that it was a gift, not a curse. And with Will's help Alona was able to figure out that sometimes allowing people to see that your not perfect isn't a bad thing, because nobody is. 

This was a quick read and I finished it within a day. But I am so absolutely in love with this series. I have been so lucky recently with getting to read such good books. I have already went out and bought 'Queen of the Dead' book 2 in this beautiful and sweet series. Can't wait to be able to read it and the cover is just as beautiful as 'The Ghost and the Goth' book cover. =D

5 comments:

Fara said...

I'm totally going to hunt for this book. The cover looked totally awesome:D Great review!=D

Fara @ Tumbling In Books

Cassie S. said...

@Fara: I would definitely suggest you get a copy. Or if you win my newest giveaway you can select 'The Ghost and the Goth' as the book you get from me. =D

Heidi M. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Heidi M. said...

does anyone know who's the guy on the cover of this book? :)

Cassie S. said...

@Heidi: I have no clue. Sorry.