Monday, April 30, 2012

Review: The Iron Daughter (Iron Fey #2)




Author: Julie Kagawa
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Release Date: July 27, 2010
Page Count: 359
Chapter Count: 23
Named Chapters: Yes
Format: Paperback
Buy It: Amazon / B&N

Half Summer faery princess, half human, Meghan has never fit in anywhere. Deserted by the Winter prince she thought loved her, she is prisoner to the Winter faery queen. As war looms between Summer and Winter, Meghan knows that the real danger comes from the Iron fey—ironbound faeries that only she and her absent prince have seen. But no one believes her.

Worse, Meghan's own fey powers have been cut off. She's stuck in Faery with only her wits for help. Trusting anyone would be foolish. Trusting a seeming traitor could be deadly. But even as she grows a backbone of iron, Meghan can't help but hear the whispers of longing in her all-too-human heart.

Opening Sentence: The Iron King stood before me, magnificent in his beauty, silver hair whipping about like an unruly waterfall. 

Review:

'The Iron Daughter' by Julie Kagawa was an enjoyable read. Did it blow me away? No. Did it leave me craving for me? Eh, not really. For all that I am concerned this book could have ended comfortably right here on book two. But there are still 2 more published book and another one in the works. I have read so much hype for this series, but in all reality I just haven't been able to connect that well with the characters.

Don't get me wrong, because I like Ms. Kagawa's writing style. I think she is a fabulous author and has a lot of potential. Heck, yesterday I bought her latest series and really look forward to reading it. But then again, I am a vampire lover. LOL. 

There was just something about these characters (Meghan, Ash & Puck) that just wouldn't allow me to enjoy them. Maybe the fact that Ash (maybe my favorite character of them all) was absent from most of this book and was so determined to do it on his own and then just leave Meghan (whom he's supposed to love so much) and continue on with his boring, ol' depressing life. Maybe it was that Ms. Kagawa wouldn't give them a life together unless they had the courage to turn their backs on everyone they know in Faery and just be together by themselves in the human realm. Where Meghan will eventually die (she is half-human after all) and Ash will fade into existence and have no after life with her. Just so depressing for that love.

The ending of this book was just so unbelievble. I mean you know it's not the end for them, because after all there are 3 more books to come. You know something must happen to get them back into Faery. But sadly enough I just have no matter desire to find out what happens. It pretty predictable by what Iron Horse said in this book. 

I must say the only two characters that I truly loved were Iron Horse (who has a tragic story) and Grim who flutters in and out of the story so much you never know when he will be around. 

All together, Ms. Kagawa has an amazing writing style. This story just didn't leave me breathless like I was hoping it would. I will still go and get 'The Iron Queen', but I won't be rushing out to buy it, either.

No comments: