Thursday, April 12, 2012

Review: Wolfsbane (Nightshade #2)

Author: Andrea Cremer
Publisher: Philomel
Release Date: July 26, 2011
Page Count: 390
Chapter Count: 29
Named Chapters: No
Format: Hardback
Buy It: Amazon / B&N

When Calla Tor wakes up in the lair of the Searchers, her sworn enemies, she's certain her days are numbered. But then the Searchers make her an offer - one that gives her the chance to destroy her former masters and save the pack - and the man - she left behind. Is Ren worth the price of her freedom? And will Shay stand by her side no matter what? Now in control of her own destiny, Calla must figure out which battles are worth fighting and how many trials true love can endure and still survive.  

Opening Sentence: I couldn't shut out the screams. 

Review:

Oh but how I enjoy this series. I love Calla and Shay together. They are one of my favorite genuine couples together. Because they have so many faults and they argue and bicker like an everyday couple. But at the end of it all, they make up with one another and still love each other. That is something that I don't see in a lot of YA fiction. But there are so many things about Calla as a character that really annoy me as well.

Once I started this one, I constantly had it with me. I didn't want to put it down. I was even able to read it through all the kids bickering and screaming. And when I was at work, all I could think about a lot of the time was when I was able to get back to this book and read some more. But there were also times that made me role my eyes.

I loved learning all the new secrets that had been kept from Calla her entire life. To really see what was going on in her world, things that she knew but never really did. I thought I learnt a lot in 'Nightshade' but that is nothing compared to what you learn about in 'Wolfsbane'. But the strong b****y woman that Calla was in 'Nightshade' was lost a lot in 'Wolfsbane'. That was definitely one of the things that I really disliked with this book. She became whinny. All she could think about was her pack (which all together is understandable) but all she could say was how bad she was because she had left them. Had to come and get them. But she couldn't figure out what was going on or why her pack wasn't welcoming her back with open arms. 

And even though she had Shay right there loving her throughout this entire book, all she could do was cry over how she had lost Ren. Why are thinking about another guy when you have a great guy right in front of you loving you? Blah blah blah... I'm sorry, I just am NOT a fan of Ren. 

And while I couldn't put this book down at points, there were some definite things that were predictable as well. Like why Monroe was so interesting in Ren. What was going to happen on the rescue mission. Who was going to come with Calla and who was going to turn against her. Who it was that was going to betray her and why. However, all of those things definitely did not distract from the greatness of this book. And I at first was loving the ending and was going.... FINALLY. But then the last chapter ruined it all for me. WHY!!!! Just get over him already, you have Shay right there and your pack has readily accepted him as their new alpha male. 

Eh. All together I loved it. And I can't wait to read 'Bloodrose' when it comes out in paperback and I can see how Ms. Cremer ends this great series.

  

3 comments:

Night Sky Reviews said...

This sounds like a really good book. The series seems interesting too. Adding to my TBR. Thanks for the review :)

Oh! Paper Pages said...

I just started reading this series, and I finished Wolfsbane last night. I felt the same way as you about Calla. She was also annoying about Shay when she kept saying that he was not her boyfriend but saying that she loved him. Ridiculous. I am renting Bloodrose from the library, because I can't wait to read it.

Cassie S. said...

@Night Sky Reviews: Not a problem. I am glad that my review was able to open up a new series for you. =D

@Oh! Paper Pages: Yes. I must admit 'Wolfsbane' is one of the fastest books I have read in quit a few months. I was literally unable to put it down at times. Even when I desperately needed to go potty. LOL. I am glad that you enjoyed it as well and I hope that you enjoy 'Bloodrose'. I buy all of my books, or am gifted them. But I usually refuse to buy hardback additions. I just don't like them for some reason. So even though I will have to wait for a while for 'Bloodrose' to come out on paperback I will. But once it has arrived I will be devouring it just like I did 'Wolfsbane' I am sure. =D