Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Top Ten Tuesday (2)

Top Ten Tuesday is a meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. Every week they will post a 'Top Ten List' for them and bloggers alike to answer and it's always a different list question to answer.

This week's Top Ten to answer is:

 Top Ten Books that were Totally Deceiving 

1. Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead
Why: Such unflattering book covers.
I know, I know... anybody that readily follows my blog will know how much I ADORE this series. But I never was and am still to this day NOT a fan of these book covers. They just don't do anything to compliment the amazing world tucked away within its pages. 

2. Blue Bloods by Melissa de la Cruz
Why: Once again we run into the bad cover disease.
Another cover that I just didn't like. Thankfully as the series goes on the covers of the books get a lot better. At least in my opinion. I also love the world of the Blue Bloods.

3. City of Fallen Angels by Cassandra Clare
Why: A world that was no longer welcoming. 
I know a lot of you are probably looking at me like I am crazy. I mean I absolutely loved the first three books in The Mortal Instruments series. But for some reason the fourth book just rubbed me the wrong way and I could no longer get into the world of the shadowhunters and downworlders that Cassandra Clare had created.

4. Fragile Eternity by Melissa Marr
Why: Each book changed character.
For the life of me, I just could not continue on with this series. I must say this is the only book I quite reading half way through and refused to finished. I really enjoyed the first book in this series, but once Ms. Marr changed her main character on each book, I just could not finish it. I don't mind multiple perspectives in a book, but don't keep changing who the story is being told by for an entire book.

5. Halo by Alexandra Adornetto 
Why: A pretty shell that did not have chocolate inside.  
This started off as an okay book. But then just dragged on. And for the life of me the religious parts were just suffocating. 

6. The Goddess Test by Aimee Carter
Why: Gods/Goddesses be warned.
This book is described as a retelling of the greek tragedy of Persphone. But it has almost NOTHING to do about the greek gods/goddesses. 

7. The Body Finder by Kimberly Derting
Why: Uninspiring.
For the life of me this cover does not inspire me to pick it up and read it. But am I ever so grateful that I did. I LOVED it. 

8. Hereafter by Tara Hudson
Why: Such a gorgeous cover that hides a dud. 
I practically panted after this book until one of my wonderful followers offered to give me a copy they had that needed a new home. I was sooo excited going into this book and came out of it so disappointed. I just feel that Ms. Hudson could have done so much more with her amazing writing skills. 

9. The Hollow by Jessica Verday
Why: Another ghostly dud.
What is it about ghost stories that seem to leave me so uninspired?

10. Everlasting by Alyson Noel
Why: Such a sad ending to a rather okay series.
This book left me in tears, but not of the good kind. I almost ripped out my hair trying to get through with this one. Up until the conclusion I had enjoyed this series, but the ending just ruined it for me. 

All of these books have deceived me in one way or another. Here's the good, the bad and the outright, not for me.
 



What books have deceived you?

9 comments:

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

You are not the only one who was disappointed by Halo.

Here's my
Top Ten Tuesday: Books That Were Deceiving.
I'd love to have you stop by!

Lori said...

The Body Finder is a great choice! The cover doesn't capture the creepiness at all.
My Top Ten Tuesday

Carissa Taylor said...

I was totally disappointed by Hereafter too! In fact it was the last straw in a long line of books that inspired me to create a post/flowchart entitled "Does your YA Paranormal Romance have enough Cliches?"

Heather@The Flyleaf Review said...

Halo by Alexandra Adornetto

Why: A pretty shell that did not have chocolate inside.
This started off as an okay book. But then just dragged on. And for the life of me the religious parts were just suffocating.

Yes! Best description of Halo. Ever:)

Great list!

My TTT

Melissa (i swim for oceans) said...

I think everyone has HALO on their list! I certainly do! I swear that it's one of the prettiest covers, but holy heck. So bad.

Great list!

Angela said...

Too bad Halo was such a disappointment, it has such a GORGEOUS cover! New follower via GFC :)

http://ajarndtbooks.blogspot.com/

Kristin said...

I have Vampire Academy on my list too, my favorite series, but the covers look cheesy. Great List!

MY TTT: http://youngadultbookhaven.blogspot.com/

your newest follower,

Kristin

Jaye said...

I don't think anyone actually likes Vampire Academy's cover! I really wish The Body Finder's cover matched the awesomeness that was the book as well.
And books with gorgeous that actually are bad really need to stop happening. ):
My TTT

Cassie S. said...

@Deb: Yea, I have read a lot of negative reviews for it. But I still had to read it to make my own decision on it. But I definitely waited until it came out in paperback. And if I ever read the next 2 in the series I will wait until they are in paperback as well.

@Lori: No it doesn't. I don't really know what relevance the book covers have to the series at all. But I still really enjoy this series.

@Carissa: LOL, I will have to take a close look at that Thursday when I'm off.

@Heather: LOL, thank you.

@Melissa: Yea, I was hoping it would still be okay even after some of the negative reviews that I saw for it, but by the middle of the book I was just skimming through it.

@Angela: Thank you so much. And I agree with it. It is really pretty.

@Kristin: Yea, after Twilight, the VA series is my favorite. But it took me nearly a year after seeing the books to finally give them a chance because the covers put me off so much.

@Jaye: Yea, I have come to find that as well. That a lot of gorgeous covers hide not so gorgeous stories and some rather dole covers hide come amazing stories.

Thank you all for the amazing comments. I will definitely check out all of your TTT's as well. =D