Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Review: Angelfire (Angelfire #1)




Author: Courtney Allison Moulton
Publisher: Katherine Tegen Books
Release Date: February 15, 2011
Page Count: 453
Chapter Count: 35
Named Chapters: No
Format: Paperback
Buy It: Amazon / B&N / Book Depository 

 First there are nightmares.
Then come the memories.
Now she must hunt.

Ellie can't shake the terrifying dreams about monstrous creatures that are hunting her, killing her. Then she meets Will and feels on the verge of remembering something just beyond her grasp. His attention is intense and romantic, and Ellie feels like her soul has known him for centuries. When they meet on a dark street at midnight, Will awakens Ellie's power, and she knows that she can fight the creatures that stalk her in the grim darkness. Will holds the key to Ellie's memories, whole lifetimes of them, and she can no longer pretend anything was just a dream.

Her role is to hunt and kill the reapers that prey on human souls. In order to survive, she must also hunt for the secrets of her past lives, the dangerous and ancient battle of the angels and the Fallen, and truths that may be too frightening to remember.

Opening Sentence: I stared out the classroom window and longed for freedom, wanting to be anywhere in the world other than gaping up at my economics teacher like the rest of my classmates.

I smiled. "I wish I remembered."
"You will," he insisted. "I keep telling you that, because it's true. There are many things I wish you would never remember, but they all make you who you are. I've never known anyone else who's seen such unspeakable tragedy in their lives, and still you're more human than the entire rest of the world."

As much as I hungered to learn more about my past, I was afraid of learning other things too - mostly about death and despair, and dark corners of the globe. I prayed that those memories wouldn't come back to me, because I felt in my bones that some things were too frightening to remember.

But he was there. Day and night he was there for me, risking his very existence to protect me from a war that claimed my life over and over again. He never faltered, never wavered, never feared for his own safety. He was beaten, stabbed, abused, and tortured again and again, and yet he still stuck by me, ignoring the possibility that he would die for me one day. It wasn't right. I didn't deserve everything he sacrificed for me. I wasn't worth so high a price. 

Review:

'Angelfire' by Courtney Allison Moulton was an enjoyable book to read. It was practically non-stop action from page one. There was one fight after another and Ellie didn't get any breaks from the reapers. They were coming after her and they were coming after her hard.

What I loved is that Ellie was woken up early in the story and we didn't have to wait forever for Will to introduce himself, (figure out how he was important to the story), so through tons of moments of them falling in love and then finally see what it is Ellie was meant to be and do. Nope. Bam, from like chapter 3 or so she's into her kick-butt stage and killing some pretty ugly bad guys. All in the process of trying to protect Marshmellow as well. (You'll just have to figure out who he is).

Action, action and more action. All packed into one book with some sprinklings of mystery (who am I really...?) and some love-potion 101 as well (you risk your life for me, life time after life time, how can I not love you...?). And you have the mixture for what we know as 'Angelfire'. 

And while I really enjoyed this read and Ellie as a character (and her utter humanness and devotion to those she loves *cough*Will*cough*) I had a few reservations as well.

Ellie is supposed to be this super ass warrior (a.k.a. Prelatior) whom all the reapers fear and yet fight scene after fight scene, she is getting her butt handed to her. However, I can understand this to a point. She was just woken up and is still coming to, remembering how to be a kick-ass warrior and remembering how to use her powers (Will is training her). But yet, through all her past lifes, she keeps getting killed, time after time. No fears, I mean she comes back to keep kicking some butt. But in the back of my mind all I could really think was, IF she is soooo bad-ass, why does she keep getting killed? Defeated? By those who fear her so much. (Things that make you go... Hmmmm....)

And also, another little thing that really frustrated me about this story was the ending. I mean, if you are really going to introduce a love between Ellie and Will, make it one that they will be dedicated to. When it is finally revealed who Ellie is (besides the Prelatior) and how it is she came to have the powers she does, Will automatically backs away and is like disgusted within himself because he dared to love her. REALLY!?!?!?! Oh my gosh, I hate when this happens in a series. Okay, so what she is somebody important, she still loves you. She choose to love YOU! Don't make up her mind and back away and refuse to love someone, you love. Come on it's so obvious. If she loves you, that's all that should matter, not who or what she is. Fight for your love. Love is a struggle and if you expect anything less, you will always be disappointed. 

Besides these two issues, I really enjoyed the book and look forward to reading 'Wings of the Wicked' when it comes out in paperback.

(P.S. 'Angelfire' definitely seemed to be a mis-mash of a ton of animes I have watched. Still loved it though.)

No comments: