Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Review: Tantalize (Tantalize #1)




Author: Cynthia Leitich Smith
Publisher: Candlewick Press
Release Date: February 01, 2007
Page Count: 310
Chapter Count: 54
Named Chapters: Yes
Format: Paperback
Buy It: Amazon / B&N / Book Depository

Quincie Morris has never felt more alone. Her hybrid-werewolf first love is threatening to leave her forever. And just as she and her uncle are about to unveil Austin's first vampire-themed restaurant, their chef's brutal murder leaves Quincie scrambling to transform fresh-faced Henry Johnson into a culinary Dark Lord in time for opening night. But there's more than meets the eye to this new hire, and Quincie is about to learn a whole lot about love... and blood.

Opening Sentence: Lousy idea, us sitting like that on the railroad tracks.

"Quincie, we all have first loves," my chef replied. "At the time, they seem more significant because we haven't had anything to compare them with yet. But there's a reason they're called 'first.' More often than not, there's a better love yet to come."

Review:

'Tantalize' by Cynthia Leitich Smith was so different then what I was expecting. Well to be honest I really didn't know what to expect going into this book. I had read no reviews for it and reading the back of it made me think this: Vampire, Werewolves and Italian Food. o.O 

And writing this review right now is really making me realize how hard this review is for me to write. Because even after reading this book, I am still like this. o.O

What the hell did I just read? What did I take out of this book? What did this book make me feel? Did I connect with any of these characters? Did they make me feel their pain or their happiness? And to be honest, the answers to practically all of these questions is a rather unsatisfactory... no.

Throughout most of this book, I was rather uninterested in what was going on. That is incredibly rare for me, because I usually love everything when it comes to werewolves and vampires. But this book didn't leave me craving for anything. I will be honest and say that I am interesting to see what the heck book number two is about. But that would be me after reading any book that is a series. I always have to know where the story goes even if I didn't necessary enjoy the book itself. 

I think what irritated me the most with 'Tantalize' was that Quincie was SO in love with her BFF (who's name I can't even remember, you know it's back if you have to look up the name of a character in a book you just finished not to long ago) Kieren, yet as soon as the first suspicion of guilt is laid at his feet, does she protect him? NO!!!! She goes right along with it and even fears for her life. FROM THE GUY THAT HAS BEEN HER BEST FRIEND FOR LIKE HER ENTIRE LIFE!!! Really??? Like REALLY? This annoyed me to no end. And it just make the book unbelievable for me.

I was really hoping that I would like this one. But it just wasn't meant to be. Maybe the second one will bring something new to the table to love.

No comments: