Thursday, July 05, 2012

Review: First Grave on the Right (Charley Davidson #1)




Author: Darynda Jones
Publisher: St. Martin's Griffin
Release Date: February 01, 2011
Page Count: 315
Chapter Count: 21
Named Chapters: No (Quotes)
Format: Paperback
Buy It: Amazon / B&N / Book Depository

This whole grim reaper thing should 
have come with a manual.
Or a diagram of some kind.
A flowchart would have been nice.

Charley Davidson is a part-time private investigator and full-time grim reaper. Meaning, she sees dead people. Really. And it's her Job to convince them to "go into the light." But when these very dead people have died under less than ideal circumstances (like murder), sometimes they want Charley to bring the bad guys to justice. Complicating matters are the intensely hot dreams she's been having about an entity who has been following her all her life... and it turns out he might not be dead after all. In fact, he might be something else entirely. But what does he want with Charley? And why can't she seem to resist him? And what does she have to lose by giving in?

Opening Sentence: I'd been having the same dream for the past month - the one where a dark stranger materialized out of smoke and shadows to play doctor with me. 

"My fore-parts, as you so ineloquently put it have names." I pointed to my right breast. "This is Danger." Then my left. "And this is Will Robinson. I would appreciate it if you addressed them accordingly."

"Maybe I needed sensitivity training. I once signed up for anger management class, but the instructor pissed me off."

Review:

Warning: This is an adult paranormal book

Oh my gracious how I loved this book. 'First Grave on the Right' was a snarky, witty and outrageously funny book to read. I absolutely loved Charlotte 'Charley' Davidson and her sarcasm. Darynda Jones has definitely found herself a winner in this female heroine. 

Charley Davidson is a grim reaper, but not just any grim reaper, she's "the" grim reaper. The only one around. Part time private investigator, informate and "helper" for the cops (her uncle), it's a miracle that she finds time to help souls come to terms with their deaths and move on. Right through her.

But this is her biggest case so far. Helping find out what happened to three lawyers (who have a firm together) and find out why they were all murdered on the same day. Help free an innocent man from prison, while trying to stop the state from taking another prisoner off of life support. All while fighting off the advances of a "co-worker" and giving into the advances of a mysterious entity that has been haunting and protecting her her entire life.

Sound like a dozy? Well this is all a day's work in the life of Charley Davidson. And she does it with amazing style if I do say so myself.

I love everything about this book. There weren't any overly obvious parts, it all wrapped up together beautifully and left me breathless and craving for more. I can't wait to get my hands on 'Second Grave on the Left' to see where the series goes next. Oh but how I want some more scenes between Charley and Reyes. If you haven't read this book yet, you need to.


No comments: