Wednesday, July 04, 2012

Review: The Selection (The Selection #1)




Author: Kiera Cass
Publisher: Harper Teen
Release Date: April 24, 2012
Page Count: 327
Chapter Count: 25
Named Chapters: No
Format: Hardback

For thirty-five girls, the Selection is the chance of a lifetime. The opportunity to escape the life laid out for them since birth. To be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and priceless jewels. To live in a palace and compete for the heart of gorgeous Prince Maxon.

But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her. Leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Living in a palace that is constantly threatened by violent rebel attacks.

Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she starts to question all the plans she's made for herself - and realizes that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined.

Opening Sentence: When we got the letter in the post, my mother was ecstatic.

"...true love is usually the most inconvenient kind."

Something about the tentativeness of it made me feel beautiful. Without a word, I could understand how excited he was to have this moment, but then afraid at the same time. And deeper than any of that, I sensed that he adored me.

So this is what it felt like to be a lady.

"No, I'm not choosing him or you. I'm choosing me."

Review:

'The Selection' by Kiera Cass has been a love/hate book for me from practically the very beginning. I have read both positive and negative reviews for this one (and I am sure most of you are aware of the drama that happened with this book, but that is neither here nor there, when it comes to my review of it). I have been excited to read it, ever since I saw it's gorgeous cover. But then after some of the reviews came out for it (not so positive), my desire for it waned a little bit. However, that didn't stop me from picking it up at my local book store as soon as I saw it on the shelves.

And I must say that I fall some where in the middle. 

I can see where both parties are coming from with the book. There are things that worked and there are things that were just absolutely unnecessary when it came to the story (and plot line).

Like for example, the introduction of the love triangle. The love triangle (while highly over done) can be executed effectively in some cases and some books. However, it simply did not work for this story. It was unnecessary and unneeded. It bogged the story down for me, and for what could have otherwise been a sweet romance between America and Maxon, just became strained and down right annoying. Were just good friends but let me kiss you. I'm sorry, but I don't kiss my good guy friends. That's where you cross the line. (Some major line crossing). And the fact that Aspen, just happened to get called in to work for the army and just happened to be placed in the Palace to where he could see America again. That is just to many coincidence's for me to swallow effectively.

That and America turned out to be a little bit of a whiner. She just couldn't be happy in a PALACE, for crying out loud. Or with a guy that is trying tooth and nail to please her. Please, I wish I could find a guy like that. I wouldn't be pining over a guy who so easily turned you away because you hurt his pride. Psh, please, give me a Prince trying to please me, any day over a guy who can so callously break my heart.

But another issue I had with this book was the fact, that even after reading the entire thing, I don't feel I understand who any of the characters are. What they are about, or what they are really trying to get out of this whole thing. They are just there playing the game. And that is not enough to give an audience after reading an entire book.

However, it was sweet and nice. It was a good fluff read if you aren't looking to get anything TO serious out of it. If you are looking for a book that will change your life and make you really think about things, this isn't the book for you. But if you only want a light, simple read that will take you away to another world for a few hours, this is the one for you.


No comments: