Friday, September 21, 2012

Review: Cursed




Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Publisher: Spencer Hill Press
Release Date: September 18, 2012
Page Count: 288
Chapter Count: 28
Named Chapters: No
Format: Paperback
[ARC] Copy provided by Spencer Hill Press
Buy It: Amazon / B&N / The Book Depository

Dying Sucks

...and high school senior Ember McWilliams knows firsthand.

After a fatal car accident, her gifted little sister brought her back. Now anything Ember touches dies. And that, well, really blows.

Ember operates on a no-touch policy with all living things - including boys. When Hayden Cromwell shows up, quoting Oscar Wilde and claiming her curse is a gift, she thinks he's a crazed cutie. But when he tells her he can help control it, she's more than interested. There's just one catch: Ember has to trust Hayden's adopted father, a man she's sure has sinister reasons for collecting children whose abilities even weird her out. However, she's willing to do anything to hold her sister's hand again. And hell, she'd also like to be able to kiss Hayden. Who wouldn't?

But when Ember learns the accident that turned her into a freak may not've been an accident at all, she's not sure who to trust. Someone wanted her dead, and the closer she gets to the truth, the closer she is to losing not only her heart but her life.

For real this time. 

First Sentence: Something soft and warm - definitely hand-sized - settled on my chest, and then moved to the right, headed uphill.
 

First off I want to thank Spencer Hill Press for generously providing me with an ARC copy of Cursed to review on my blog. I always have a great experience whenever I talk to anyone at Spencer Hill Press, you are all the very best.

Okay, onto the review.

Cursed by Jennifer L. Armentrout, while a good book (which is to be expected from one of the best up and coming authors in the past year or so in my opinion) did not blow me away however.

I have read both Half-Blood and Pure and have Deity (from her Covenant Series) to read as well as Obsidian (her Lux Series, yet to read). And from what I have read of them, they are all very strong books with a strong, well thought-out plot line and kick-ass characters. Cursed however was lacking a lot of these traits, which I have come to expect in Ms. Armentrout's books.

Don't get me wrong, it was a good book and a good start to what could be another interesting series by Ms. Armentrout, however, there just wasn't really anything in this book to really keep my attention. It was a struggle at first for me to even get into it, it wasn't until around chapter 6 that things started to move along at a pace that made me want to read more. But after awhile the plot line just seemed to be on repeat.  Ember distrusted the people that she was living with, the other "special" kids were all weary of her and only Hayden was there to try and help her learn how to control her touch. That was all that happened for the majority of the middle of the book, over and over again.

There was really no action. Or danger for that matter. And the danger that was introduced did not seem to fit. All the other "special" keeps were terrified of Ember and what her touch could do. But Ember actually has to touch someone to kill them, all the other kids have ways of protecting themselves from her even touching them, yet Hayden has a power where he only has to look at you and he can bring houses crumbling down around you. I am sorry, but if it were me, I would be way more terrified of Hayden then Ember.

Because of these things, I can only say that Cursed was an "okay" book for me. It wasn't horrible by any means, but it really didn't hold the spark that I thought it was going to have. To the best of my knowledge it isn't confirmed yet if there is going to be a sequel, but I truly hope that there is going to be. Because the ending of this book only left one with way more questions then answers.

Here is to looking forward to seeing where this book can potentially lead it's readers.

 

1 comment:

Maji Bookshelf said...

oh no, I'm disappointed that there is no action and that some parts were lacking. You are not the only one who has said. Great review though!

- Juhina @ Maji Bookshelf