Thursday, September 27, 2012

Follow Friday (30)

Is a blog hop hosted by Parajunkee and Alison Can Read.

This is a blog hop for bloggers to get to know other bloggers, & to help some gain more of a following and support system for their blog. It looks like it should be a lot of fun. To join in, go to the host's page and follow the steps they have posted up there. =D

This week's question is...

What is the BIGGEST word you've seen used in a book lately - that made you stop and look it up? Might as well leave the definition and book too.

Ummmm.... I can usually decipher a words meaning by how it is used in the sentence. So this is a pretty hard question for me because I hardly ever have to look up the meaning of a word. 

The only thing that I can think of off the top of my head is when I looked up the word "Skiptracer" for my friend. The definition of it is:

The process of locating a person's whereabouts for any number of purposes. Or a person who locates someone's whereabouts. The "skip" refers to the slang skipping town & "tracer(ing)" is the person looking for the (skip).

LOL... So it's like a private investigator. It was only confusing because the author would go from using the term skiptracer to saying investigator when she was referring to the same person.

The book in question is First Grave on the Right by Darynda Jones.

LOL... I hope my answer wasn't to confusing...

Some music for you enjoyment.
Domo Arigato for visiting my blog <3

8 comments:

The Readdicts said...

That's a cool new word! And the book has a nice cover. ;)

It would be great if you could stop by my Feature and Follow Friday post. We have have a Night Of The Purple Moon giveaway going on. Come along and participate if you like! :)

New follower here!

Sarika.

sinn said...

I completely understand what you mean! Unless something is very outlandish, the context usually tells you what the word means.

Here's mine:
http://www.sinnfulbooks.com/2012/09/follow-friday.html

New follower ^_^

sinn @ sinnful books

Rinn said...

Wow, I've never heard of that before :o
I'm a new follower via GFC and Networked Blogs! =)
Rinn
http://rinnreads.blogspot.co.uk/2012/09/feature-follow-2.html

Christina said...

Great word, thanks for sharing!

New follower via GFC.

Christina @ Ensconced in YA
My FF

Melliane said...

it's funny I don't remember this one but you're right.

old follower

here is mine

Alison Can Read said...

Hopping through. I usually figure out words from their context too.
My Hop

Cassie S. said...

@The Readdicts: It is a good series, I really enjoy it. But it's more adult then YA.

@Sinn: Yea, and if it's completely outlandish to wear you have to look it up, then it's really not needed (or inappropriate) for that sentence.

@Rinn: Yea, I had never heard the phrase before reading this book either.

@Christina: That's what I'm here for =D

@Melliane: Yea, I never really noticed it until I let my friend borrow the book and she pointed it out to me.

@Alisona: Yea... I guess that's something else I can be happy about. Because I'm such a reader my vocabulary is pretty good as well... I know sometimes I'll say a word and my friends are just like, "WTH does that even mean?" LOL.

BLHmistress said...

I didn't know or even hear of this word LOL.

My FF