Saturday, September 29, 2012

Review: Carrier of the Mark (Carrier Trilogy #1)




Author: Leigh Fallon
Publisher: Harper Teen
Release Date: October 04, 2011
Page Count: 342
Chapter Count: 23
Named Chapters: Yes
Format: Paperback
Buy It: Amazon / B&N / The Book Depository

THEIR LOVE
WAS MEANT TO BE.

When Megan Rosenberg moves to Ireland, everything in her life seems to fall into place. After growing up in America, she's surprised to find herself feeling at home in her new school. She connects with a group of friends, and she is instantly drawn to darkly handsome Adam DeRis.

But Megan is about to discover that her feelings for Adam are tied to a fate that was sealed long ago - and that the passion and power that brought them together could be their ultimate destruction.

Opening Sentence: Flames engulfed the boat, and my lungs ached as dark, noxious smoke filled the air.

Review:

Oh but how I desperately wanted to love this book. Everything about it really called my name and while I have had the book waiting on my self for about 10 months or so now, I still couldn't wait to read it. Before reading this book, I had such high hopes (regardless of the fact that I have seen some pretty negative reviews for it). Now after reading it, all I can manage to ask myself is... why was I so excited for this book?

I finished reading (or... skimming) Carrier of the Mark back on September 20. That was 8 days ago... Over a week. And I have just now been able to bring myself to do a review on it. I had to really think about this book, really think about how much it affected me, before I was even able to do this review today. 

Carrier of the Mark started off pretty okay for me. It had a good start and set up a good image for me to follow the book along with. However, after the first few chapters it really went down hill for me. There just wasn't anything for me to really grasp onto. Funny enough as the book started going along and I was about half way down with it, I found myself wishing it was more about Caitlin and Killian (secondary characters) then about Megan and Adam.... I connected more with the first couple then I did the later, and it was the later couple that the freaking book was about.

What really had me rolling my eyes was the insta-romance. The insta-love. I'm sorry but for the life of me I don't believe in love at first sight. How can you possibly love somebody you don't know a darned thing about? How can you say they are the one for you, your soul mate, if you don't even know they could be a mass murderer? That scenario is highly unlikely, but it's a possibility, you don't even know the freaking dude. She lays eyes on him the first day of school and he acts all weird around her (and all the girls comment and act jealous, that the new girl is getting all the attention from the hottest guy -albeit untouchable- at school... That's just soooo unfair, right?). But then a little bit of time passes and after keeping his distance from her, he realizes that he just cannot resist her and then throws himself at her willing feet.... O.o what the crap just happened? If someone I barely knew went out of his way to never be in my presence and then all of a sudden threw himself at my feet and professed his undying love for me, I would walk away from the crazy dude... As FAST as I could. 

But not only this, something else grated on my nerves as well (and it was at this point that I knew this book was going down hill for me... and fast). The first kiss. Don't get me wrong, I usually love the first kiss scene between a couple in a book, it usually always leaves me with a smile on my face, because it is a sweet and tender moment, of two people falling for each other. This first kiss was just completely... Idk what to call it, it just didn't sit well with me. Adam professes his love to Megan and she tells him how she reciprocates his feelings (they are sitting on a log in a dark shadowed area of the outside party that everyone is attending) and then they go in for the passionate first kiss.... ..... ...... ...... ...... ......, I'm sorry for all the blanks, but I just don't know what to say. A good month has gone by at this point since Megan started school and first saw Adam and in all this time, he has mostly avoided her and barely looked in her direction unless he was forced to. This is the VERY first time they have ever sat down to talk with each other and they are professing love and kissing....? I'm sorry but kissing on the first date? Am I the only one that just doesn't feel this love scene.

Everything from that point on I didn't really pay attention. It became way to obvious what was going to happen. The couple was way to happy with each other, someone had to throw in a wrench somewhere to break up that happiness. Couples actually being happy is just not allowed, at least not until the very last book and they are able to find a way to be together. It became to obvious that some how or some way their love was going to be forbidden and they would fight against it any ways.  


I just couldn't take any more after this point. I started to skim through the last 120+ pages that were still left. And nothing really surprised me. I mean we found out that there was a tracker hunting down Megan and wanted her caught, because not only was she a Carrier of the Mark, but she was extra special and extra powerful, even though NONE of this supposed super power was really shown throughout the entirety of the book.

While I will still read the next book in the series, whenever it eventually comes out (cause it's not even set to come out until next year... over a year between both books, that in my opinion is just mean to the people who actually enjoyed this book). But I will only be reading the next few in the series, simply because I absolutely hate to leave series unfinished. No matter how much I didn't enjoy them. However, I won't be impatiently awaiting it's arrival. It'll just happen when it happens.

P.S. While I absolutely refused to make a reference to this book mimicking almost everything about THE TWILIGHT SERIES by Stephanie Meyer, click (HERE!) to read an amazing review that clearly shows you ALL the similarities rip offs of Twilight.



2 comments:

Hannah said...

I have to agree with you in some of these areas. It was...how you say: CHEESY? It was enjoyable but sometimes I was just LAUGHING Out Loud at how cheesy it was. Great review (YES I totally feel with you on that first Kiss)
<3 Inky@ Book Haven Extraordinaire

Cassie S. said...

@Hannah: Yea, I was rolling my eyes throughout so much of this book that it started to give me a migraine. *sigh* I think in general I'm not much surprised by books any more. I still love to read them though.