Monday, September 24, 2012

Review: Embrace (The Violet Eden Chapters #1)




Author: Jessica Shirvington
Publisher: Sourcebooks Fire
Release Date: March 06, 2012
Page Count: 369
Chapter Count: 36
Named Chapters: No (Poems)
Format: Hard Cover
Buy It: Amazon / B&N / The Book Depository 
Add to Goodreads


It starts with a whisper.

"It's time for you to know
who you are..."

Strange dreams leave her with very real injuries and there's a dark tattoo weaving its way up her arms. The guy she thought she could fall in love with just told her he's only half-human - oh, and same goes for her. And she keeps hearing a distant fluttering of wings.
Violet Eden is having a very bad 17th birthday.

But if angels seek vengeance and humans are the warriors, you could do a lot worse than betting on Violet Eden...

First Sentence: Birthdays aren't my thing.

Review:

Embrace by Jessica Shirvington started off with a really good bang. I was really into the book and couldn't put it down. However, once it was revealed who Violet Eden was, her personality like completely changed and it was all down hill from there, until the very end.

Like I have already mentioned, I really liked this book to begin with. However, the middle of the story really waited me down and made me question why I had originally liked this book so much. Violet started off as a great, strong, and focused character yet she took like a complete 90 degree turn once it was revealed who she was. She turned from the guy who was (and had always been) by her side and trying to help her through it and started to go down a dark path. Don't get me wrong. On one hand I can understand where she is coming from, because it is hard to accept when you find out that your best friend (and the person you are desperately in love with) has kept something from you. But this was something that was kept from her for her own good, because she wasn't ready for it yet and it's not like it was always going to remain a secret. 

Violet's character in my opinion was very flawed in a lot of ways. She starts off as a strong girl who has the regular insecurities, dreams and hopes of a teenager. But then she goes from this strong individual to this wimpy, scared, running from her destiny (and what she knows feels right) kind of character. And that annoyed me more then anything. She is supposed to be so hurt by Lincoln's "betrayal" (even though I can not for the life of me see it that way) because she loves him so much, yet she is willing to let him go so easily, while he still pines away after her even though he knows he shouldn't. 

And then enters Phoenix and what do we have? One screwed up love triangle. Now, don't get me wrong. I can enjoy a good love triangle if it is done in the right way, but this one just did not seem necessary at all. And all it served was to bring Violet character lower in my opinion and to give the book some volume. 

Phoenix had me on the edge since he entered the seen. I knew right off the bad, while he may not be overly dangerous or even interested in harming any of the main characters, he was still not someone you could trust. He was someone looking out for only himself and his best wishes. Such a selfish creature. But for some reason (unknown to me) Violet ends up clingy onto him and choosing him over Lincoln throughout the majority of this book, (you know Lincoln, the guys supposedly Violet was SOOO in love with).

I think I really started to dislike this book in the middle. It got annoyed, irritating and way to predictable to what was going to happen. It was like wait for the ball to drop. The majority of this book is about Violet trying to deny and run from her destiny, while you know the whole while that she is going to have to accept it somehow, it's all about you having to suffer through to find out what forces her hand into accepting what she so desperately doesn't want but knows is right in the end. I mean if some unknown source is pushing you towards this destiny no matter what you know, there's a reason for it. You just need to live with it. Sometimes you don't have a choice. 

But enough about the middle that I hated so much and was not really necessary. We finally get towards the end of the book and it's revealed what was going on. Even though some of it was obvious for me from the beginning (or dreaded middle). We find out why Phoenix can't be trusted and why Lincoln can be. We see Violet finally step up and do the right thing. And we see a good relationship finally be rekindled.

While I have my issues with this book, overall it wasn't horrible. It is still a good, strong and interesting plot. And I do look forward to reading Entice because I heard that it is better then Embrace. Here's to keeping my fingers crossed that it gets better from her.



2 comments:

Maji Bookshelf said...

I get what you mean exactly. However I think you should really pick up Entice. I had the exact issues you had with Embrace and I really enjoyed Entice! you should pick it up. Pheonix shows up much less in Entice and I'm glad for that.

- Juhina @ Maji Bookshelf

Cassie S. said...

@Maji: I do still intend to read Entice once I am able to work it into my schedule (I have a lot of books yet to read, lol). And I am grateful to hear that Phoenix is less present in that book. Because Violet and Lincoln still have a long way to go to rebuild the bond and trust that she so carelessly destroyed. I just find the character of Phoenix unnecessary, love triangles are okay if used properly but this one just didn't really seem necessary. =D