Tuesday, October 02, 2012

Top Ten Tuesday (14)

Top Ten Tuesday is a meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. Every week they will post a 'Top Ten List' for them and bloggers alike to answer and it's always a different list question to answer.

This week's Top Ten to answer is:

Top Ten "Older" Books You Don't Want People To Forget About

Already, I can tell you already that this won't be a full list. Most of the books that I read have been published within the last few years. And I barely got back into my reading a few years ago, since then I have stayed mostly within the YA paranormal genre. So I will make a list of the few books that STARTED it all for me. These are the books that really made me into the reader that I am today. They are also the books that while I haven't been able to read them in many years I can still almost remember everything about them. So I will never forget them and I hope others never forget them as well.

Be warned that when I was younger I had very different tastes then I do now... LOL.

[In no particular order]

1. Anne of Green Gables (the series) by L.M. Montgomery
While I don't remember everything that happened in this book. I can still remember snipit's of scenes from it. I read it while I was in middle school and to this day I still have strong feelings and a warm and fuzzy feeling of love for this series. I really should get copies of this series so that I can add it to my collection and be able to go back and read it whenever I feel like. <3
This book was originally published in 1908 (80 years before I was born)
This book is approximately 104 years old



2. Something Wonderful by Judith McNaught
This is THE book for me. The one that started it all. It's the book that made me into a read. Made me love reading so much. It has been at least a good 12 years since I have last read it (half of my life span) and yet I can still remember practically EVERY detail of what happens in this book (and it's a good 400+ page book. I really do need to get my copy of it and add it to my book shelf so that I can have the pleasure of reading it whenever I feel like. I will never forget this book and I hope those who have read it never forget it as well. And for those of you who haven't read it or even ever heard of it, I would definitely suggest you read it. It's an amazing book by an amazing author. <3<3><3<3<3><3<3<3
This book was published in 1988 (the same year I was born)
This book is approximately 24 years old

3. Skye O'Malley by Bertrice Small
Oh.... What can I say about this AMAZING book or the AMAZING author? This whole series and really ANY book by Bertrice Small is an absolute delight to read. This would definitely have to be the second book that started me off as a reader (surpassed only by the book above). And while yes, it has been close to 12 years since I have been able to read this book as well, I can still remember practically every detail of this story (this series really) as well. I have had the pleasure of speaking (through email) to Ms. Small as well and she is an amazing woman who still holds with the idea: that if a fan spends the time to send you a letter or email, you should always respond back to them. That is not something you find very often any more unfortunately. I will never forget this book or this series (I need to get my own copies). <3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3
This book was published in 1981 (7 years before I was born)
This book is approximately 31 years old

4. Love in the Wind by Madeline Baker
Oh, how I have been dying to read this book lately. I had a urge recently to pick this book up again and read it all over again. =[ unfortunately I don't have my own copy and I can't find it at the library. Life is so cruel because I don't have the money to buy a copy either. This was my first Native American love story. And it has had a long lasting (permanent) place in my heart. And will forever.
This book was published in 1986 (2 years before I was born)
This book is approximately 26 years old


Mmmmm.... Well that about does it for me. These 4 books are really the back bone to the read I am today. Without them I probably would have never gotten into reading at all. I wasn't much of a reader when I was young, not until these 4 books came into my life (that and a certain 5th grade teacher, who for the life of me I can remember her name, but will always be grateful for how much effort she put into helping me and showing me the wonders of being a reader). Yes, I was reading Historical Romances when I was still only 12 years of age. But reading is also what kept me out of trouble. So it's a win win in my book.

What "older" books do you not want people to forget? 

4 comments:

Nina said...

I haven't heard of these books before, well except for the first book. I think it's really fun that a lot of American bloggers have listed Anne of Green Gables too. Such fun!

J'adore Happy Endings

Jamie said...

Aside from Anne of Green Gables (WHICH I LOVED) I haven't heard of these! Totally checking them out!

Cassie S. said...

@Nina: Anne of Green Gables is a classic. The other three books are historical romances. Like I said, I had very different tastes when I was younger. LOL. You should definitely look into them, they are all very good books.

@Jamie: I am sure that you would enjoy them. They are historical romances so they definitely don't fall in the YA genre. But they are amazing stories that have stuck with me very many many years and I don't think they ever have any plans on leaving my heart. =D

Lauren @ Lose Time Reading said...

Anne of Green Gables is amazing. You also picked a Judith McNaught book which surprised me. Ironically I have one on my list as well and I don't hear much about her! I'll have to check this one out as well.