Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Review: Catching Jordan (Hundred Oaks #1)


Author: Miranda Kenneally
Publisher: Sourcebooks Fire
Release Date: December 01, 2011
Page Count: 281
Source: The Library
Read Between: November 19 - November 20, 2012
Tag Line: There's no playbook for love.
Buy It: Amazon / B&N / The Book Depository

What girl doesn't want to be surrounded by gorgeous jocks day in and day out? Jordan Woods isn't just surrounded by hot guys, though - she leads them as the captain and quarterback of her high school football team. They all see her as one of the guys and that's just fine. As long as she gets her athletic scholarship to a powerhouse university.

But everything she's ever worked for is threatened when Ty Green moves to her school. Not only is he an amazing QB, but he's also amazingly hot. And for the first time, Jordan's feeling vulnerable. Can she keep her head in the game while her heart's on the line?


Opening Sentence: I once read that football was invented so people wouldn't notice summer ending.

Review:

Even if your meant to be with someone, that doesn't mean you necessarily get to be with them.

Oh Catching Jordan, for shame. How you have broken my fragile little heart.

I will be the first to admit that at first, I actually really did not like this book. The writing style and voice of Jordan just plain ol' got on my nerves. She was annoying to me and for the life of her she couldn't see what was going on, right in front of her eyes. I caught on from the very beginning, it really wasn't all that hard to figure it out. But then again, I will give some credit. It is a lot easier for an outsider to see the issues, then it is for someone stuck in the middle of them.

While the first good 20-30% of this book rubbed me the wrong way, I was determined to finish it. It had been getting such raving reviews (some of them by bloggers that I stock on a regular basis), that I just needed to see what they had seen in this book. While, it may have taken me a little bit longer to see the hidden gems in Catching Jordan I did eventually see them and once I did, I couldn't put this book down.

However, I think Catching Jordan may have had a bigger emotional impact on me then it did others. The thought of friends falling in love, really isn't a new one. But best friends... in love... SOOO much can go wrong in that scenario... and I know first hand.

I was blissfully unaware for years, that one of my closest friends held a secret love for me. I don't think it helped the fact that when we first met I was already dating the guy who eventually became his best friend. And so when we eventually became friends ourselves, that all I saw him as... a really good friend. Oh, but how life can be a mean mean person sometimes. After about a year and I had broken up with that guy, my friend and I, continued to stay in contact. We eventually fell out of contact with one another and didn't start speaking again until about a year and a half later. & it was like we had never lost contact with each other. & that was when he finally confessed how he had always loved me. & what a shock that was for me. He even broke up with his girlfriend to be with me, but I just didn't know if that was what I wanted. Yet, the door had been opened and it could never be shut again. The more our friendship grew stronger after our distance from one another, the more I came to see him as more then just my best friend. I came to love him as much as he had always loved me. But by that point, he already had another girlfriend. This all happened back in late 2009, and to this day my heart still yearns for him, even though he has finally moved on. It is a TERRIBLE pain, being in love with your best friend and having to see them happy with somebody else. A terrible, devastating pain. But at the same time, I can't be angry or sad about it. For he is my best friend (& I am his) and all I really want for him, is to always be happy. Even if that means it's not with me.....

So in this regards, what happens between Jordan and Henry, while Jordan is learning how to open up and try to love Ty all at the same time. Really speaks to my heart. I went into this book expecting a light-hearted story about first love. But oh boy was I wrong. This is a heartbreaking book about growing up, learning how to hold on to what is most precious to you, staying true to your and your heart & not letting the perfect guy get away from you. No matter how hard he may try sometimes.

Jordan's dad says, "While you may be meant to be with someone, that doesn't mean you always get to be with them." And oh but how true that statement is. I didn't get to be with mine and that is a pain I will eventually have to learn how to get over but maybe, just maybe, Jordan will get her happily-ever-after for the both of us.



4 comments:

ninest123 said...

longchamp, ray ban sunglasses, chanel handbags, nike air max, louis vuitton, replica watches, longchamp outlet, louis vuitton outlet, ugg boots, nike roshe run, tory burch outlet, ray ban sunglasses, air max, louis vuitton outlet, uggs on sale, longchamp pas cher, louboutin pas cher, kate spade outlet, louis vuitton, oakley sunglasses, prada outlet, oakley sunglasses, longchamp outlet, gucci outlet, nike air max, nike free, oakley sunglasses, nike free, michael kors, tiffany jewelry, prada handbags, louboutin, polo ralph lauren outlet, christian louboutin outlet, ralph lauren pas cher, replica watches, polo ralph lauren outlet, nike outlet, louboutin shoes, louboutin outlet, sac longchamp, ugg boots, louis vuitton, air jordan pas cher, burberry, oakley sunglasses, jordan shoes, cheap oakley sunglasses, ray ban sunglasses, tiffany and co

ninest123 said...

ugg boots, burberry, burberry outlet online, michael kors outlet, hollister, new balance pas cher, lacoste pas cher, nike free run uk, true religion outlet, nike air max, coach outlet, michael kors outlet, nike air max, michael kors, replica handbags, timberland, vanessa bruno, kate spade handbags, nike blazer, true religion jeans, north face, converse pas cher, true religion jeans, michael kors outlet, ray ban uk, michael kors, oakley pas cher, vans pas cher, michael kors outlet, sac guess, ugg boots, michael kors outlet, coach outlet, tn pas cher, air force, michael kors, coach purses, abercrombie and fitch, michael kors, hermes, hogan, lululemon, nike roshe, true religion jeans, ray ban pas cher, ralph lauren uk, mulberry, nike air max, north face, hollister pas cher

ninest123 said...

insanity workout, valentino shoes, vans, beats by dre, celine handbags, nike air max, mont blanc, nike roshe, ralph lauren, nike trainers, converse outlet, bottega veneta, giuseppe zanotti, ferragamo shoes, herve leger, asics running shoes, louboutin, vans shoes, longchamp, soccer shoes, mac cosmetics, jimmy choo shoes, new balance, hollister, soccer jerseys, hollister, p90x workout, lululemon, north face outlet, chi flat iron, wedding dresses, north face outlet, nike huarache, nike air max, hollister, gucci, oakley, iphone cases, birkin bag, timberland boots, baseball bats, reebok shoes, ray ban, abercrombie and fitch, ghd, mcm handbags, babyliss, nfl jerseys, instyler, converse

ninest123 said...

moncler, canada goose outlet, canada goose outlet, swarovski crystal, thomas sabo, louis vuitton, pandora jewelry, wedding dresses, pandora jewelry, moncler, supra shoes, ugg,uggs,uggs canada, pandora charms, moncler, canada goose, swarovski, lancel, barbour jackets, ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia, moncler, moncler, moncler outlet, canada goose uk, karen millen, moncler, barbour, canada goose, hollister, montre pas cher, marc jacobs, pandora charms, juicy couture outlet, toms shoes, moncler, replica watches, sac louis vuitton pas cher, bottes ugg, doudoune canada goose, juicy couture outlet, ugg boots uk, ugg pas cher, links of london, canada goose, louis vuitton, louis vuitton, canada goose, louis vuitton, coach outlet