Monday, November 19, 2012

Review: Cinder (Lunar Chronicles #1)


Author: Marissa Meyer
Publisher: Feiwel & Friends
Release Date: January 03, 2012
Page Count: 387
Source: The Library
Read Between: November 07 - November 09, 2012
Buy It: Amazon / B&N / The Book Depository

Sixteen-year-old Cinder is considered a technological mistake by most of society and a burden by her stepmother. Being cyborg does have its benefits, though: Cinder's brain interface has given her an uncanny ability to fix things (robots, hovers, her own malfunctioning parts), making her the best mechanic in New Beijing. This reputation brings Prince Kai himself to her weekly market booth, needing her to repair a broken android before the annual ball. He jokingly calls it "a matter of national security," but Cinder suspects it's more serious than he's letting on.

Although eager to impress the Prince, Cinder's intentions are derailed when her younger stepsister, and only human friend, is infected with the fatal plague that's been devastating Earth for a decade. Blaming Cinder for her daughter's illness, Cinder's stepmother volunteers her body for plague research, an "honor" that no one has survived.

But it doesn't take long for the scientists to discover something unusual about their new guinea pig. Something others would kill for.

Opening Sentence: The screw through Cinder's ankle had rusted, the engraved cross marks worn to a mangled circle.

Review:

*Sigh*... Cinder, Cinder, Cinder. Where did you and I go wrong? You started out so strong and promising. I had to many recommendations to read you by other bloggers & co-workers alike and yet I couldn't find myself loving you at all. Sure I like you, but how I so expected to love you.

I have read and heard so many good things for Cinder by Marissa Meyer. I fully thought I was going to absolutely adore this book. I mean, it's set in the future, it has cyborgs. It's a retelling of Cinderella, which is one of my all time favorite fairy-tales. And for crying out loud it has elements of Sailor Moon, my ALL TIME favorite anime, within it. What isn't there to love about it?

The answer to that question, unfortunately, is quite a bit.

First off, my biggest issue with this story, by far was the fact that the foreshadowing was horrendous. Within the first not even 10% of the book or so, I had already figured out the "great, big secret" (note my sarcasm here) of who Cinder really was. If you have two (functioning) eyes within your head, it's not that hard to figure out. Which makes it even more annoying that it took until the VERY end of the book for Cinder to figure this out. And she didn't even figure it out on her own, even though hint after hint after obvious hint was through her way. Not it was told to her by another. It was like... *facepalm* how have you not figured this out yet???

I also think that it may be a bad thing that it has already been revealed to all readers what the next 3 books in this series are going to be titled. Because of this simple fact, I have already practically figured out, which girls are going to play who in which book of the next books to come. Just another case of the horrendous foreshadowing of this first book. I don't want to know who all the characters are going to be already... It totally ruins the element of surprise for the next books. I guess I will just have to keep my fingers crossed and hope that Marissa has something up her sleeve that she didn't reveal in all the foreshadowing she had going on.

Another issue I had with Cinder, was the fact that Ms. Meyer turned the Queen of the Moon into the villain. For me, who grew up watching (and adoring) everything that had to do with Sailor Moon (& it is obvious that a lot of this book was inspired by that anime), it's hard... no impossible... for me to see people of the Moon as villains. I grew up wishing the Moon Kingdom was real and that I could have been born in the time of the Silver Millennium (even if I had to die by the hands of Queen Beryl). So to read a book, that turned the Moon people almost evil... well it physically hurt me inside to read something like that. I felt like it was a betrayal to Sailor Moon, itself, who was the ultimate protector of Earth. But then again, this could be completely bias. Since I already love the Moon, as soon as I realized they were the "evil" in this book, I turned against it. That thought could have some valued points to it as well.

The romance also left a lot to be wanted. My friend kept telling me, "It's one of the sweetest romances that I have read in a long time." Now while I respect my friend and her opinion, I must kindly beg to differ from this. Maybe I am to in search of a romance as amazing as Clara and Tucker's was in Unearthly. It felt more forced then anything else. I could see how a friendship was building between Cinder and Kai, but not love. Maybe that's just me though.

Overall, Cinder left me just barely interested enough to want to pick up Scarlet when it comes out and see how Ms. Meyer continues this story. Maybe she will be able to change my mind in the next book and I will see why everybody has been raving over this series.



4 comments:

ninest123 said...

longchamp, ray ban sunglasses, chanel handbags, nike air max, louis vuitton, replica watches, longchamp outlet, louis vuitton outlet, ugg boots, nike roshe run, tory burch outlet, ray ban sunglasses, air max, louis vuitton outlet, uggs on sale, longchamp pas cher, louboutin pas cher, kate spade outlet, louis vuitton, oakley sunglasses, prada outlet, oakley sunglasses, longchamp outlet, gucci outlet, nike air max, nike free, oakley sunglasses, nike free, michael kors, tiffany jewelry, prada handbags, louboutin, polo ralph lauren outlet, christian louboutin outlet, ralph lauren pas cher, replica watches, polo ralph lauren outlet, nike outlet, louboutin shoes, louboutin outlet, sac longchamp, ugg boots, louis vuitton, air jordan pas cher, burberry, oakley sunglasses, jordan shoes, cheap oakley sunglasses, ray ban sunglasses, tiffany and co

ninest123 said...

ugg boots, burberry, burberry outlet online, michael kors outlet, hollister, new balance pas cher, lacoste pas cher, nike free run uk, true religion outlet, nike air max, coach outlet, michael kors outlet, nike air max, michael kors, replica handbags, timberland, vanessa bruno, kate spade handbags, nike blazer, true religion jeans, north face, converse pas cher, true religion jeans, michael kors outlet, ray ban uk, michael kors, oakley pas cher, vans pas cher, michael kors outlet, sac guess, ugg boots, michael kors outlet, coach outlet, tn pas cher, air force, michael kors, coach purses, abercrombie and fitch, michael kors, hermes, hogan, lululemon, nike roshe, true religion jeans, ray ban pas cher, ralph lauren uk, mulberry, nike air max, north face, hollister pas cher

ninest123 said...

insanity workout, valentino shoes, vans, beats by dre, celine handbags, nike air max, mont blanc, nike roshe, ralph lauren, nike trainers, converse outlet, bottega veneta, giuseppe zanotti, ferragamo shoes, herve leger, asics running shoes, louboutin, vans shoes, longchamp, soccer shoes, mac cosmetics, jimmy choo shoes, new balance, hollister, soccer jerseys, hollister, p90x workout, lululemon, north face outlet, chi flat iron, wedding dresses, north face outlet, nike huarache, nike air max, hollister, gucci, oakley, iphone cases, birkin bag, timberland boots, baseball bats, reebok shoes, ray ban, abercrombie and fitch, ghd, mcm handbags, babyliss, nfl jerseys, instyler, converse

ninest123 said...

moncler, canada goose outlet, canada goose outlet, swarovski crystal, thomas sabo, louis vuitton, pandora jewelry, wedding dresses, pandora jewelry, moncler, supra shoes, ugg,uggs,uggs canada, pandora charms, moncler, canada goose, swarovski, lancel, barbour jackets, ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia, moncler, moncler, moncler outlet, canada goose uk, karen millen, moncler, barbour, canada goose, hollister, montre pas cher, marc jacobs, pandora charms, juicy couture outlet, toms shoes, moncler, replica watches, sac louis vuitton pas cher, bottes ugg, doudoune canada goose, juicy couture outlet, ugg boots uk, ugg pas cher, links of london, canada goose, louis vuitton, louis vuitton, canada goose, louis vuitton, coach outlet