Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Review: What Happens Next


Author: Colleen Clayton
Publisher: Poppy / Little, Brown & Comp.
Release Date: October 09, 2012
Page Count: 310
Source: The Library
Read Between: November 27 - November 28, 2012
Buy It: Amazon / B&N / The Book Depository

Before the ski trip, Cassidy "Sid" Murphy was a cheerleader (on the bottom of the pyramid, but still...) and a straight-A student, with two of the best friends a girl could ask for.

When Sid finds herself on a ski lift with hunky local college guy Dax Windsor, she's thrilled. "Come to a party with me," he tells her, but Dax isn't what he seems. He takes everything from Sid - including a lock of her perfect red curls - and she can't remember any of it.

After the ski trip, Sid is an insomniac and an obsessive late-night runner, unable to relate to anyone.

Caught in a downward spiral, Sid drops her college prep classes and takes up residence in the A/V room with only Corey "the Living Stoner" Livingston for company. But as she gets to know Corey - slacker, baker, total dreamboat - Sid finds someone who truly makes her happy. Now, if only she could shake the nightmares, everything would be perfect....

Opening Sentence: It's four in the morning and I'm sitting on my porch steps waiting for my friends.



Review:

This review is very personal to me. 
It contains some very personal information.
If you don't like to see this in a review, then you should stop reading this now.

To be completely honest, I don't know how to start off with this review. I finished this book over 2 weeks ago and I have yet to figure out an answer to this problem. I have been trying really hard to figure out a way to make this review less personal to me, but I just haven't been able to figure out a way. So I will just have to go with my gut and see what happens.

I picked up this book because it got a really good review from a blogger that I stock. Her reviews have led me to read so really good books so I thought this would be a good read as well. But boy was this something else to read. While reading this I ran through so many different emotions, the most common being: Annoyance and down right anger.

I am not saying this was a bad book to read, not at all. But it was a book that was extremely difficult for me to read. I tried my hardest to be sensitive to the topic that was being discussed. Rape is a hard topic to be covered. A lot of times it is like a voodoo word that people will purposely skip over. I understand this all. However, the way that it was handled in this book, the way that Sidney handled it, by trying to brush it all under a rug, not tell anyone... but it still getting the best of her and herself allowing it to affect all areas of her life and then blaming the guy for taking everything from her... This struck a cord with me.

Early I warned you all that this would be a very personal review. You may be wondering why I said this... It is because I have been a rape victim myself. So I can understand where Sidney is coming from. In a way at least. My experience was from a family member and I had to see him on a constant basis. I was only 12 years old when it happened to me and no I didn't tell anyone what happened. I was a scared little girl. I looked up the statics on rapes and it is kind of shocking to see that about 60-70% of rapes do go unreported.

This is not what really got to me about this book, however. I can understand that she was scared or just didn't know how to explain what had happened to her. Even if she didn't remember the details, she knew what had happened on a physical level. What really gets me, is that fact that she allowed herself to become a victim of this crime. Sidney allowed her world to fall down around her. She allowed herself to lose her friends. She allowed herself to become distant from her mother. She allowed her grades to fail.... etc.

I kept telling myself over and over and over again that I needed to be more open to what was going on in her head. Everybody deals with things differently. But no matter how many times I told myself this, I couldn't handle the fact that she kept blaming the guy that did this to her. Yes, it is a TERRIBLE thing that happened to her, but you can't just lay down and allow yourself to be a victim of the crime as well.

I wanted to see some fight. Some indignation that this guy should dare to take something so very precious from her. But I didn't see any of this in the book. So instead I started to focus on everything else. The relationship that was slowly build upon between Sidney and Corey (the slow build up of trust between them was inspiring to read). The peaks we got into the relationship between Sidney and her mom (which I must say is the best mother/daughter relationship I have ever read in a book). How her mother struggled to raise her. How Sidney and her two girlfriends were eventually able to make up and then ended up being her biggest support system. All of these things are what make the book easier for me to read. It wasn't until the very end, when the truth finally came out that you finally saw a fight in Sidney. This is also when she finally got to see that even those this terrible thing happened to her, the people that she loved and loved her back, still stayed by her side.

This wasn't a bad book. It was just a really hard book for me to read because it was so very personal to me. But I would still recommend it to people to read about because it is an emotionally moving book as well.


6 comments:

Megan TheBookBabe said...

Cassie. I'm so sorry--but I bet you don't want me to focus on that. I loved your review--personal moments don't hurt reviews for me, they make them better. Your review totally makes me want to read this book--good mother/daughter relationships are the best!

I also don't mind a slow building romance--it makes it better. I just...I'm gonna read this--and soon! Terrific review, Cassie! (:

Loves,
Megan@The Book Babe

ninest123 said...

longchamp, ray ban sunglasses, chanel handbags, nike air max, louis vuitton, replica watches, longchamp outlet, louis vuitton outlet, ugg boots, nike roshe run, tory burch outlet, ray ban sunglasses, air max, louis vuitton outlet, uggs on sale, longchamp pas cher, louboutin pas cher, kate spade outlet, louis vuitton, oakley sunglasses, prada outlet, oakley sunglasses, longchamp outlet, gucci outlet, nike air max, nike free, oakley sunglasses, nike free, michael kors, tiffany jewelry, prada handbags, louboutin, polo ralph lauren outlet, christian louboutin outlet, ralph lauren pas cher, replica watches, polo ralph lauren outlet, nike outlet, louboutin shoes, louboutin outlet, sac longchamp, ugg boots, louis vuitton, air jordan pas cher, burberry, oakley sunglasses, jordan shoes, cheap oakley sunglasses, ray ban sunglasses, tiffany and co

ninest123 said...

ugg boots, burberry, burberry outlet online, michael kors outlet, hollister, new balance pas cher, lacoste pas cher, nike free run uk, true religion outlet, nike air max, coach outlet, michael kors outlet, nike air max, michael kors, replica handbags, timberland, vanessa bruno, kate spade handbags, nike blazer, true religion jeans, north face, converse pas cher, true religion jeans, michael kors outlet, ray ban uk, michael kors, oakley pas cher, vans pas cher, michael kors outlet, sac guess, ugg boots, michael kors outlet, coach outlet, tn pas cher, air force, michael kors, coach purses, abercrombie and fitch, michael kors, hermes, hogan, lululemon, nike roshe, true religion jeans, ray ban pas cher, ralph lauren uk, mulberry, nike air max, north face, hollister pas cher

ninest123 said...

ugg boots, burberry, burberry outlet online, michael kors outlet, hollister, new balance pas cher, lacoste pas cher, nike free run uk, true religion outlet, nike air max, coach outlet, michael kors outlet, nike air max, michael kors, replica handbags, timberland, vanessa bruno, kate spade handbags, nike blazer, true religion jeans, north face, converse pas cher, true religion jeans, michael kors outlet, ray ban uk, michael kors, oakley pas cher, vans pas cher, michael kors outlet, sac guess, ugg boots, michael kors outlet, coach outlet, tn pas cher, air force, michael kors, coach purses, abercrombie and fitch, michael kors, hermes, hogan, lululemon, nike roshe, true religion jeans, ray ban pas cher, ralph lauren uk, mulberry, nike air max, north face, hollister pas cher

ninest123 said...

insanity workout, valentino shoes, vans, beats by dre, celine handbags, nike air max, mont blanc, nike roshe, ralph lauren, nike trainers, converse outlet, bottega veneta, giuseppe zanotti, ferragamo shoes, herve leger, asics running shoes, louboutin, vans shoes, longchamp, soccer shoes, mac cosmetics, jimmy choo shoes, new balance, hollister, soccer jerseys, hollister, p90x workout, lululemon, north face outlet, chi flat iron, wedding dresses, north face outlet, nike huarache, nike air max, hollister, gucci, oakley, iphone cases, birkin bag, timberland boots, baseball bats, reebok shoes, ray ban, abercrombie and fitch, ghd, mcm handbags, babyliss, nfl jerseys, instyler, converse

ninest123 said...

moncler, canada goose outlet, canada goose outlet, swarovski crystal, thomas sabo, louis vuitton, pandora jewelry, wedding dresses, pandora jewelry, moncler, supra shoes, ugg,uggs,uggs canada, pandora charms, moncler, canada goose, swarovski, lancel, barbour jackets, ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia, moncler, moncler, moncler outlet, canada goose uk, karen millen, moncler, barbour, canada goose, hollister, montre pas cher, marc jacobs, pandora charms, juicy couture outlet, toms shoes, moncler, replica watches, sac louis vuitton pas cher, bottes ugg, doudoune canada goose, juicy couture outlet, ugg boots uk, ugg pas cher, links of london, canada goose, louis vuitton, louis vuitton, canada goose, louis vuitton, coach outlet