Monday, January 21, 2013

Review: Touch the Dark (Cassandra Palmer #1)


Author: Karen Chance
Publisher: RoC Books
Release Date: June 06, 2006
Page Count: 307
Source: The Library
Format: Paperback
Read Between: December 30, 2012 - January 01, 2013
Buy It: Amazon / B&N / The Book Depository

Cassandra Palmer can see the future and communicate with spirits - talents that make her attractive to the dead and the undead. The ghosts of the dead aren't usually dangerous, they just like to talk... a lot.

The undead are another matter.

Like any sensible girl, Cassie tries to avoid vampires. But when the bloodsucking mafioso she escaped three years ago finds Cassie again with vengeance on his mind, she's forced to turn to the vampire Senate for protection.

The undead senators won't help her for nothing, and Cassie finds herself working with one of their most powerful members, a dangerously seductive master vampire - and the price he demands may be more than Cassie is willing to pay...

Opening Sentence: I knew I was in trouble as soon as I saw the obituary.

Review:

Warning: This is an adult paranormal book

I have to say that I was expecting to like this book a lot more than I did. Or at least I was hoping that I would. I mean, the heroine's name is the same as mine (it was a little weird reading Cassie all the time, but I got used to it) and it was at vampires. My all time favorite paranormal creature to read about. But honestly, the book was barely passable for me.

It's a good 300+ page book and all of like 2 or 3 days occurred within it. And my favorite character turned out to be the traitor at the end of the book. I was also hoping for some spice romance, and while there was snippets of some romance thrown in... it was not nearly enough. And when we do finally do get to a spicy romance scene, the main character "spirits" or within 2 other characters in the... past. Yea, trust me it's as confusing and just flat out weird as it sounds. Especially when the guy that Cassie finally gets some "action" from is somebody that I can't see as anything but like an Uncle figure for her (for a lack of a better term to call him).

Another thing that got to me was the long chapters. Anybody that knows me by now is that I absolutely loathe long chapters. They make it feel like the book is dragging on and it just kills me. Like I've already said, this was a 300+ page book and there were only 14 chapters in the entirety of it. Most of them were 20+ pages long. To me that is absolutely crazy. I don't know. I know there are some people that this wouldn't affect or bother at all, but for me it was driving me absolutely insane.

I was wanting more from this book that I just wasn't getting. And for the life of me, even though we share the same name, I couldn't connect with the heroine. Which just makes a book even harder for me to read and there were already a million things that I didn't like with this series.

Cassie Palmer was a powerful character and she also had the backing of a lot of powerful vampires, but she still whined non-stop about practically everything. And then she kept going on about her desire to take revenge for her parent's but when she eventually got the chance to she let it slip right through her hands. She had the power to entire peoples minds, see and control ghosts, even travel back to the past and change history (which she did like twice in the book). But she whined about taking up a position of power because she didn't want to be used by either vampires or mages (a.k.a. witches). Dude, she would be (and will be regardless of her wanting it or not) the most powerful of them all and they would have to back down to her because they wouldn't be powerful enough to take her on when she got her full powers, but she was scared that she would just be a pawn for them.... Ummm... Do you not see that they wouldn't be able to do that unless you let them. Your the most powerful being around what's the issue. She was going to get "full" powers any ways, because they wanted to go to her after the current carrier dies (which she was going to do very soon) but she didn't want to lose her virginity because she thought that that would hold it off...

*Shaking my head right here* The lady explained to Cassie that she was going to get the powers regardless of what she wanted and that by losing her virginity she would be able to control the powers fully without them controlling her (don't ask me how this works, it's not explained). So why not do it with the guy you have been drooling over this entire book, if it's going to help you out in the end? I mean the guy has told you straight up that he's more then willing to help you out... I just couldn't understand Cassie at all.

I wanted to love this book, it just wasn't meant to be though. I will still continue on with this series in the hope that it gets better and I am maybe able to connect with Cassie the second time around, but I'm not holding my breathe.



36 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's going to be ending of mine day, however before ending I am reading this great article to improve my knowledge.

Feel free to surf to my webpage: Jordan Femme

Anonymous said...

Your style is really unique in comparison to other folks I've read stuff from. Thanks for posting when you have the opportunity, Guess I will just bookmark this blog.

Feel free to surf to my blog post Cheap Louis Vuitton Handbags

Anonymous said...

It's awesome designed for me to have a website, which is good for my experience. thanks admin

Also visit my page: extra resources

Anonymous said...

I like the helpful info you provide in your articles.
I'll bookmark your blog and check again here regularly. I am quite certain I'll learn
many new stuff right here! Good luck for the next!

Feel free to visit my blog post ... Nike Air Jordan

Anonymous said...

This is a really good tip especially to those fresh to the blogosphere.
Simple but very accurate information… Many thanks for sharing
this one. A must read post!

Feel free to surf to my weblog :: Visit Website

Anonymous said...

Very rapidly this website will be famous among all blogging and site-building people, due
to it's pleasant articles or reviews

Feel free to surf to my webpage - louis vuitton pas cher

Anonymous said...

My brother suggested I might like this blog.
He was once entirely right. This submit truly made my day.
You can not consider simply how so much time I had spent for
this info! Thanks!

my blog :: nysacpr.org

Anonymous said...

Hey there! Do you know if they make any plugins to safeguard against hackers?
I'm kinda paranoid about losing everything I've
worked hard on. Any tips?

My web blog: Louis Vuitton Outlet

Anonymous said...

Very nice post. I just stumbled upon your weblog and
wanted to say that I have truly enjoyed browsing your blog posts.
After all I'll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you write again soon!

Check out my site - Abercrombie & Fitch

Anonymous said...

Hi, Neat post. There's a problem with your site in web explorer, might test this? IE nonetheless is the marketplace leader and a big section of folks will pass over your magnificent writing because of this problem.

Feel free to surf to my weblog More Help

Anonymous said...

Hi mates, how is everything, and what you would
like to say on the topic of this piece of writing, in my view its in fact awesome in favor of me.


my web site Nike Free 7.0

Anonymous said...

I know this website presents quality dependent content and
additional data, is there any other web page which presents such
stuff in quality?

Feel free to surf to my webpage - homepage

Anonymous said...

I'm really enjoying the design and layout of your site. It's a very easy on
the eyes which makes it much more enjoyable for me to come here and visit more
often. Did you hire out a developer to create your
theme? Excellent work!

My weblog; Full Report

Anonymous said...

I don't even know how I ended up right here, however I thought this put up was good. I don't recognize who you are but certainly you are going to a
famous blogger should you aren't already. Cheers!

my web site - Read More Here

Anonymous said...

Yes! Finally someone writes about hover.

my website ... helpful Resources

Anonymous said...

Hi there! Do you know if they make any plugins to help
with SEO? I'm trying to get my blog to rank for some targeted keywords but I'm
not seeing very good results. If you know of any please share.
Many thanks!

Here is my webpage Michael Kors Outlet

Anonymous said...

At this time I am going away to do my breakfast, once having my breakfast coming
again to read additional news.

Here is my blog: Sac a main Guess

Anonymous said...

I was wondering if you ever considered changing the structure of your blog?
Its very well written; I love what youve got to say. But maybe you could
a little more in the way of content so people could connect with it
better. Youve got an awful lot of text for only having
1 or two images. Maybe you could space it out better?


Feel free to surf to my web blog; Wholesale NFL Jerseys

Anonymous said...

Peculiar article, exactly what I needed.

Feel free to surf to my blog ... More hints - www.netreports.de
-

Anonymous said...

Howdy! Would you mind if I share your blog with my facebook group?
There's a lot of people that I think would really enjoy your content. Please let me know. Thank you

My weblog: Cheap NFL Jerseys

Anonymous said...

Right now it looks like BlogEngine is the best blogging platform available right now.
(from what I've read) Is that what you're using
on your blog?

Feel free to visit my page - This Site

Anonymous said...

Nice respond in return of this question with genuine arguments and explaining
all regarding that.

Feel free to visit my blog post: Cheap Oakley Sunglasses :: www.tedxyse.com :
:

Anonymous said...

Good respond in return of this query with real arguments and describing everything about that.


my website; Nike UK

Anonymous said...

Nice post. I was checking continuously this weblog and I'm impressed! Very helpful information specially the ultimate section :) I care for such info much. I used to be looking for this particular information for a very lengthy time. Thank you and best of luck.

Take a look at my site; monaural beats

Anonymous said...

Appreciating the dedication you put into your website and in depth information you offer.
It's good to come across a blog every once in a while that isn't the same old rehashed material.

Excellent read! I've saved your site and I'm adding your RSS
feeds to my Google account.

Feel free to surf to my weblog: Air Max Pas Cher

Anonymous said...

Hello, i think that i saw you visited my website thus i came to “return the favor”.
I'm trying to find things to enhance my website!I suppose its ok to use some of your ideas!!

Feel free to surf to my homepage :: NFL Jerseys Cheap

Anonymous said...

Undeniably consider that that you said. Your favorite justification seemed
to be on the web the simplest thing to remember of. I say to you, I definitely get annoyed whilst other folks consider issues that they plainly don't recognise about. You managed to hit the nail upon the highest as well as defined out the entire thing without having side effect , folks could take a signal. Will probably be again to get more. Thanks

My blog - Cheap Jerseys

Anonymous said...

I seriously love your website.. Great colors & theme.

Did you build this web site yourself? Please reply back as I'm planning to create my own personal blog and want to find out where you got this from or exactly what the theme is named. Thanks!

Here is my web page; Visit Website

Anonymous said...

Wonderful goods from you, man. I have understand your stuff
previous to and you are just too magnificent. I really like
what you have acquired here, really like what you are saying and the way in which
you say it. You make it enjoyable and you still take care of to keep it wise.

I can't wait to read far more from you. This is really a terrific website.

Also visit my web-site ... Michael Kors

Anonymous said...

I tend not to leave many responses, however i did a few
searching and wound up here "Review: Touch the Dark (Cassandra Palmer #1)".
And I actually do have 2 questions for you if you tend not to mind.

Could it be simply me or does it look like some of these remarks appear like coming from brain dead people?
:-P And, if you are writing at additional social sites, I would like to keep up with everything new you have
to post. Could you make a list of every one of all your social sites like your Facebook page, twitter feed, or linkedin profile?


My web site :: Sac A Main Louis Vuitton

Anonymous said...

Good blog you have here.. It's difficult to find good quality writing like yours nowadays. I really appreciate individuals like you! Take care!!

my page; Boutique Air Max

Anonymous said...

Every weekend i used to go to see this website, because i wish
for enjoyment, since this this web page conations
truly fastidious funny material too.

My page :: Michael Kors Outlet

ninest123 said...

longchamp, ray ban sunglasses, chanel handbags, nike air max, louis vuitton, replica watches, longchamp outlet, louis vuitton outlet, ugg boots, nike roshe run, tory burch outlet, ray ban sunglasses, air max, louis vuitton outlet, uggs on sale, longchamp pas cher, louboutin pas cher, kate spade outlet, louis vuitton, oakley sunglasses, prada outlet, oakley sunglasses, longchamp outlet, gucci outlet, nike air max, nike free, oakley sunglasses, nike free, michael kors, tiffany jewelry, prada handbags, louboutin, polo ralph lauren outlet, christian louboutin outlet, ralph lauren pas cher, replica watches, polo ralph lauren outlet, nike outlet, louboutin shoes, louboutin outlet, sac longchamp, ugg boots, louis vuitton, air jordan pas cher, burberry, oakley sunglasses, jordan shoes, cheap oakley sunglasses, ray ban sunglasses, tiffany and co

ninest123 said...

ugg boots, burberry, burberry outlet online, michael kors outlet, hollister, new balance pas cher, lacoste pas cher, nike free run uk, true religion outlet, nike air max, coach outlet, michael kors outlet, nike air max, michael kors, replica handbags, timberland, vanessa bruno, kate spade handbags, nike blazer, true religion jeans, north face, converse pas cher, true religion jeans, michael kors outlet, ray ban uk, michael kors, oakley pas cher, vans pas cher, michael kors outlet, sac guess, ugg boots, michael kors outlet, coach outlet, tn pas cher, air force, michael kors, coach purses, abercrombie and fitch, michael kors, hermes, hogan, lululemon, nike roshe, true religion jeans, ray ban pas cher, ralph lauren uk, mulberry, nike air max, north face, hollister pas cher

ninest123 said...

insanity workout, valentino shoes, vans, beats by dre, celine handbags, nike air max, mont blanc, nike roshe, ralph lauren, nike trainers, converse outlet, bottega veneta, giuseppe zanotti, ferragamo shoes, herve leger, asics running shoes, louboutin, vans shoes, longchamp, soccer shoes, mac cosmetics, jimmy choo shoes, new balance, hollister, soccer jerseys, hollister, p90x workout, lululemon, north face outlet, chi flat iron, wedding dresses, north face outlet, nike huarache, nike air max, hollister, gucci, oakley, iphone cases, birkin bag, timberland boots, baseball bats, reebok shoes, ray ban, abercrombie and fitch, ghd, mcm handbags, babyliss, nfl jerseys, instyler, converse

ninest123 said...

moncler, canada goose outlet, canada goose outlet, swarovski crystal, thomas sabo, louis vuitton, pandora jewelry, wedding dresses, pandora jewelry, moncler, supra shoes, ugg,uggs,uggs canada, pandora charms, moncler, canada goose, swarovski, lancel, barbour jackets, ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia, moncler, moncler, moncler outlet, canada goose uk, karen millen, moncler, barbour, canada goose, hollister, montre pas cher, marc jacobs, pandora charms, juicy couture outlet, toms shoes, moncler, replica watches, sac louis vuitton pas cher, bottes ugg, doudoune canada goose, juicy couture outlet, ugg boots uk, ugg pas cher, links of london, canada goose, louis vuitton, louis vuitton, canada goose, louis vuitton, coach outlet